Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Table join issue in modeling layer

I have a mapping table that has two values

"GREEN"

"GREEN "

When joining to my fact table, I am getting the error that there "unique values are required in one table.  Once I remove the "GREEN " row then the join works.  

Power BI seems to be dropping the " " when I try to join.  My data type is set to ABC and I see the space in the query editor.  Please fix this issue.  

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @rossgerber,

Please create a pbix file with dummy data which can reproduce the issue. Then upload the file to your OneDrive and share the link here for us to download it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

rossgerber
Frequent Visitor

Rather than a PBIX file, this doc will show the issue.  I have two text values but one with a trailing space.  When I click "Remove Duplicates" in query editor, the tool properly does NOT drop either text value.  However, when I create a table report or try to join it to another table, the tool combines the two values into one.  This means I don't see both values in the table and it isn't possible to use this as a lookup table because there aren't unique values.  

Join Issue.png

Let me know if this explains the issue.  

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @rossgerber,

The same issue has been reported before internally: CRI 37834876.

This is currently by design. AS Engine used in Desktop is case-insensitive. 

This is long-known; the data model is configured to be case-insensitive while the mashup engine is case-sensitive.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu