Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Service - Accessibility Issue

Almost every icon in the Power BI service is now grey. This makes the service much more difficult to use, especially for business users and developers who rely on icon colors to quickly navigate through the service.

For instance, when viewing a workspace, reports used to have a blue icon next to their name, while datasets had an orange icon. Now there is no color differentiation and the icons for a report and dataset are incredibly similar. Additionally, buttons which prompted specific actions, such as updating an app, had a yellow (then teal) background, which helps call out the significance of the action. 

Recently, the Power BI accent color was changed from yellow to teal. At the time, the team explained the primary reason for this change was to ensure the product was more accessible to all users by improving contrast and increasing visibility of the user interface. By removing icon colors, the team has directly reduced contrast and decreased visibility of the user interface. It does not seem unreasonable to expect a visualization tool to adhere to basic design principles.

Please restore the previous icon colors. In future updates, please ensure the user experience is impacted positively, rather than negatively, for consumers and developers

Hi @elizabeth-br 

Thanks for your feedback ! The issue forum is used to deal with issues related to system error reporting. If it's about suggestions in use, you can update your thoughts in the ideas forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . Whats more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this issue. As a microsoft product, I expect the highest of innovation -- not what appears to be a revert back to the 1950's television screen. Be better, Microsoft. 

allyklee
Frequent Visitor

Agreed 100%

equerystrian
Advocate I

Wholeheartedly agree - I find the minimalism really hard to interact when there's low distinction between the most important indicators (content type). I've found the narrow scrollbars more challenging and since the filtering between content types is off by default, even moderately full workspaces mean I have to interact with two very narrow scrollbars to scroll down, apply both name and type filters, or zoom out to painfully small. Please have the UX testing team work with these experiences in multiple resolutions and on laptop-sized screens -- we don't all get to work with two or three huge monitors, and those of us who remember the early days of Power BI have deteriorating eyesight nowadays. 😉

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @elizabeth-br 

Thanks for your feedback ! The issue forum is used to deal with issues related to system error reporting. If it's about suggestions in use, you can update your thoughts in the ideas forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . Whats more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

zwyatt
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for articulating this, appropriately.  I'm getting inundated by my users on confused and frustrated attempts at figuring out what they've all been accustomed to.  And, it's not like a rearranged a few icons or menus in the workspace, or maybe an extra click or two, to get to a specific area of the service.

No.. this seems (and my nearly ALL of my company's users) at first glance, a complete regression in nearly every visual / layout aspect