Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop crash with Live connection

When working on a report 'connected live to the PBI dataset' everytime I hit refresh the desktop instance freezes and have to force close/open PBI. Is this a known bug?

On the May 2021 release and have noticed this for a while in previous releases. There are sometimes it works, but majority of the time not. 

thanks

Comments
janizz
Regular Visitor

You can't reproduce the issue in 5 or 15 minutes, as it takes 30-60 minutes to freeze (or more). I am connected to a PPU workspace in Large dataset format, maybe this details are important, as previously in PBI Pro workspaces I have never had this issue.

Please, review.

FeddeB
Regular Visitor

Happens all the time... And a lot of my colleagues experience the same... Please solve!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone from Microsoft listening??

jnickell
Helper V

I'll add myself to the list here. I've had this happen multiple times.  Have to force quit and then pull from "recovery".  There was a mention earlier that Ctrl+S still works when this is happening. That's not the case for me, though the recovery file usually has the latest of what I was working on.

I am operating in a Power BI Pro workspace.  I don't think that I had "left PowerBI" alone for 30 minutes either. I was working one page and then used the lower tabs to navigate to a different page and then tried to update the selected value in my slicer and presto PowerBI's hung and I have to force quit BOTH files I had open. As far as Task Manager is concerned, "nothing's happening".  According to the service the dataset I'm connected to is 25 MB. 

I'm using the "store" version of Desktop.

ahanson
Regular Visitor

This is happening to me too for months and has recently gotten much worse.  Any thin report that has a live connection to the dataset on the PBI service will freeze up after sitting idle for a while.  Sometimes, "idle" just means clicking on a tab to switch to a page that hasn't been used for 30 minutes or more.  It freezes all PBI reports.  Task manager does not register anything.  I have learned that I can hover over the taskbar at the bottom of my screen until the PBI window thumbnail appears and I click the little "x" to close the thumbnail.  This prompts the "Do you want to save?" window to appear in PBI.  I can then click "Cancel" and the page that was stuck instantly loads and all is well...until I let anything sit "idle" again.

Edit:  Now clicking the "x" on the taskbar thumbnail does not work and I am back to ending task on Task Manager.

ayupbuilt
Regular Visitor

I'll add my comment that I'm experiencing the same problem.

I agree with the comment that this is a bug in Power BI Desktop, so why are we being asked to vote on it.

tberge
Regular Visitor

Exact same issue here, look forward to MS solution provided.

jnickell
Helper V

For what it's worth I opened a support case this morning. I'll report back here if anything comes of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jnickell   -   That's great.   I think a lot of people would benefit from any solution they might offer.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any new information regarding this?

I am constantly losing my work because of this error.