Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop WebView2 crash

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2. We need your help to understand and fix this issue. If you are willing to help out, please contact us at pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Sorry, but we couldn’t provide any support outside this post. There are several existing ICM(292502976, 294087216) related to WebView2 crash, and product group is investigating on such issue. Will follow up them and sync here once there is update. In addition, please make sure you are using latest version of Power BI Desktop and try different versions of WebView2 at the same time. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
juan_pablo
Advocate III

One year later and this continues. This is PowerBI Desktop:

juan_pablo_0-1695240309410.png

ackerkris
Frequent Visitor

Just got the same error:

ackerkris_0-1696234291260.pngackerkris_1-1696234346547.png

monowarhossain

problem in loading data &closing power bi

FritzVPL
Advocate II

I am on the new October 23 version. (This has been out for days now with no release notes?) and I have encountered about 20 crashes today alone due to webview 2 out of memory errors. This is occuring when navigating between bookmarks or simply attempting to save the file. I am completely losing my confidence in this product. This has been a major issue for over a year now and no fix seems to be in sight. As someone who has used Power BI since its first release I have never seen this product in a more unstable state.

The lack of communication from Microsoft on these issues has been very frustrating. These are not minor bugs, and we need more info then "we are investigating" then go AWOL in the forum for 18 months...

kufixo

Hey Guys,

In my case (Windows 11) helped these steps:

1) Close the Power BI Desktop app.

2) Go to Settings > Installed Applications.

3) Find "Microsoft Edge WebView 2 Runtime" app.

4) Click the three dots on the right and "Edit".

5) In the installation window click "Repair".

When the installation is complete open the Power BI app and it should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same error with WebView2. I can not finish my reports. I needed to recover my session several times within last hour.

Aldrin06
Regular Visitor

Aldrin06_0-1700524557216.png

Error on WebView2 and I can't proceed with creating any reports

dordor0530

I just got this issue when I was connecting to a SAP HANA datasource.

Aldrin06
Regular Visitor

I am also experiencing this Webview2 crashing and I can't create any new DB or Tables. Please help

Rygaard
Resolver I

I have gotten this error 5 times, started yesterday evening and persisting today.

I made a dax messure that gave me an odd error:

Feedback Type: Frown (Error) Error Message: An unexpected exception occurred. Stack Trace: Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeler.ModelingASOperationException  - and then 200 liners or so.

I have since deleted the meassure so it is no longer in model at all.

also its my both parent and child reports that are crashing.

UPDATE ;

2023-12-06  - it started for me 2023-12-05 or 04 not sure.

i uninstalled and reinstalled Power BI and only opening an old master still getting the same crashing error with that webview2  error message...

2023-12-11 - What i have tried (non of it resolve the problem)

• Update Microsoft Edge WebView2 to version 120.0.2210.61
  • Uninstalled PowerBi
    • Reinstalled from download
    • Reinstalled From Microsoft Store
  • opening ONLY PowerBi on main screen not loading any data or doing any connections (still crashes)
  • sfc /scannow
  • Reinstalling PowerBi again.

Still getting Random Crashes, some as fast as 30 seconds after opening some after 2 hours

2023-12-20 - What i have tried (non of it resolve the problem)

• Update Microsoft Edge WebView2 to version 120.0.2210.77

IT department is now sugesting a wipe and reinstall of computer. collegues computer that are running windows 11 is not having this ishue also not if im loged in with my user.  it has same version of WebView2 (120.0.2210.77)

and if that is not working throwing my computer out... sems abit drastic but what do i know.

2024-04-09 - IT gave me a new computer since my collugue did not experience this problem, and i also got updatede to windows 11 (he is also on 11)  - but Problem Persists.

I have seen an increase in this happening when i have more than one (two) reports open at the same time.