Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Power BI Crashes When Attempting to Archive File with Admin Account Signed In

Issue Description: Upon attempting to archive a file in Power BI while signed in with my admin account, the application consistently crashes. This issue arises specifically when I need to archive the file first before publishing, as this step requires my "normal" account connected to OneDrive and this PC.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Sign in to Power BI using the admin account.
  2. Open the desired Power BI file.
  3. Attempt to archive the file before publishing.
  4. Power BI crashes unexpectedly.

Additional Context:

• My organization mandates the use of a separate admin account for connecting to the database and publishing online.
  • The crash occurs during the saving process and this new built in one drive interface, which requir my "normal" account connected to onedrive and this PC.

No error message, program is just shut down. '

Running Version

2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)

Hi  @eaj 

Did this issue happen after you upgraded to the February 2024 version ? Is there a problem if you don't log into the admin's account and just open this REPORT directly and then log into the admin's account ? Has this file been logged into another account before?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi  @eaj 

Did this issue happen after you upgraded to the February 2024 version ? Is there a problem if you don't log into the admin's account and just open this REPORT directly and then log into the admin's account ? Has this file been logged into another account before?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

eaj
Frequent Visitor

Yes it happend after the update. Previously, I could circumvent this problem by having the "Save to OneDrive and SharePoint" preview feature disabled. Despite it still being disabled, it no longer seems to have any effect.

As you said I can open files not beeing signed in/or using my normal account. I can also do it through File Explorer and l can use quick save (icon top left corner). But I can't click on File to use save as. I guess it triggers the new built in OneDrive/Sharepoint interface. It's quite a bummer as I often download files, and then want to save them in the correct location with out the duplicate/(1) extension before publishing.  

Furthermore, If I open a file with my regular account (which is the same as my OneDrive and the account I'm signed in to on my PC), it's okay, but then I can't publish/update because that account doesn't have a Pro-license and database authentication. It's a bit of a puzzle.

Only solution I have found so far is to constantly sign in and out between the accounts to open, update, save, publish and then save again. (5 times per file). And I cant have more files then one open at the same time. 

Yes, it happens in several files and they have all been opened or logged in to with other accounts but I've allways changed to the admin account before updating/saving/publishing. Same thing also happens to my colleagues (using same set up with multiple accounts).