Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

May 2023, June 2023, and now July 2023 prompts sign in every time the app, or a report, is opened

Starting with the May 2023 update, and continuing with the June 2023 update, on a remote device I use to create reports, I am prompted to login every time I open the app or a report. And once I do login, I am re-prompted to login immediately after. I am able to close the login pop-up at that point and can begin working. After I close the app, my login info is not saved and I am prompted to login again when I reopen the app or a report. If I open a report, after logging in, and open a 2nd report, I am re-prompted to login yet again.  I am able to create/update reports once I get past the login every time, but it is extra time and annoying to be prompted to login all the time.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, and issue exists. I even cleared out the cache folder that is setup under my Windows profile, but no help there.

Installing the May/June 2023 updates on my local device works fine without issues. The problem is only occurring on my remote device with the May/June 2023 update.

I have reviewed several similar issues like this that has happened with older versions of the desktop app, but I do not recall seeing anything recent. And all the older issues have been resolved with a new update.  I was hoping this release would have resolved the issue this time, but it has not.

Update: July 2023 Update is also reacting the same way.

Hi @GWerling 

Again with Remote Desktop, Desktop works fine on my end and there is no need to log in repeatedly. Where did you get the installation package from?

You can try to uninstall Desktop in Control Panel and then download the full version of the installer from Download center to install it.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

vyetao1msft_1-1687229487172.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @GWerling 

Again with Remote Desktop, Desktop works fine on my end and there is no need to log in repeatedly. Where did you get the installation package from?

You can try to uninstall Desktop in Control Panel and then download the full version of the installer from Download center to install it.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

vyetao1msft_1-1687229487172.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

GWerling
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft Thank you for the response.  I only download form Microsoft's download center.  I have uninstalled, downloaded, and reinstalled several times. I also even cleared my browser cache as well as the settings folder, that is located under my Windows Profile, each time.  If I install the April 2023 Update, the issue goes away and I am not prompted to login multiple times, but only once and it remembers the login info after that. As soon as I upgrade to either or both of the May/June 2023 updates, the issue returns.

DivingJoen
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I can confirm we have exactly the same Problem. Locally on our laptop Power BI Desktop works fine, but when I open PowerBI Desktop in a Remote session I'm prompted to login twice (additionally when I do a saveas with SharePoint enabled). The Version of Power BI Desktop on the remote server is exactly the same as locally and the installation was done using the full package from the Microsoft Download Center.

We've reinstalled April, May and June versions. April is fine, May and June have this issue.   

JKamHC
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to bump and confirm this issue as well. Going back to April's version fixed the remote login for me as well. Any file newer than that turns in to an infinite signin loop with every file thats opened etc. 

Yggdrasill
Responsive Resident

This has been super annoying for the past month or so causing my Power BI files to crash upon opening because of endless login prompts. It doesn't matter how many times I successfully login, another popup window asking for login credentials will just appear again and if I close those popups then Power BI Desktop crashes.

I found out that disabling this (under Options > Preview features) fixes the problem for me:

Yggdrasill_0-1689198796477.png

Will definitely turn this preview back on once the bug is fixed.

GWerling
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft I updated my original post to include a mention that the July 2023 update is also affected.  It is frustrating that this is continues with a resolve.

@Yggdrasill Thank you for the suggestion. Luckily I did not have that feature enabled.  Hoepfully this is resolved soon.

LoriB
Regular Visitor

This is still happening with the July update.  There are several threads related to this problem.  Please advise if it will be fixed soon.  Currently still on April release.

void101x
Frequent Visitor

Sup guys,

Possible solution that worked for me today (21st September 2023):

I had a video call directly with Microsoft support on the following Issue I have had for the past few months:

Problem: Sign-in for any Power BI desktop version after April 2023 doesn't work.

Context: Started the app -> Clicked on "Sign In" -> Typed in my company email -> Clicked on the "Next" button -> Popup window closes & the app freezes -> Have to forcefully quit it from task manager.

My temporary fix for all these months was to uninstall all Power BI apps I had, & reinstall an older version that worked, in this case, it was April 2023.

However after speaking with Microsoft support today, there's a new solution:

1. Uninstall all Power BI apps you have currently installed

2. Go on the "Microsoft Store" app & install the "Power BI Desktop" app (Not "Power BI")

3. Open the installed app

4. "File" -> "Options and Settings" -> "Options" -> In the "Global" section, select "Security" -> Check the following 2 options:

a. "Use my default web browser"
b. "Use updated sign-in experience"

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

After that, it should work fine.

- Hex

DivingJoen
Regular Visitor

Hi,
on W2K16 Server that was not enough to fix the issue for us. Workaround was creating an entry in the registry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop. When adding "DisableWam" as DWORD with value 1 it worked beautifully. Kudos to Microsoft Support for providing us with that temporary workaround (issue is expected to be solved in future iterations of PBI Desktop). 

GWerling
Advocate I

@void101x Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunatley it did not work for my setup which is remoting into a W2K16 Server. But I did keep the "Use updated sign-in experience" option checked.  The default Web Browser option was already selected.

@DivingJoen THANK YOU! for posting the registry suggestion you received form Microsoft. It is working perfectly. Though it is a little slow waiting for my reports to open and it show I am logged into PBI Desktop (appears to be about the same amount of time it took for the multiple login to clear), but I'll take it over having to do multiple logins.  I had just about given up hope and live with the reality this issue may never get fix, but I am happy to say the multiple login prompts are no more. I only hope this fix stays enabled after future updates.