Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Locale Date Time Formats (with *) show as M/d/yyyy in menu (Jan 2018 update)

In Power BI Desktop Jan 2018 release, with a Date or Date/Time field selected in the Fields pane, when you navigate to the Modeling ribbon / Format / Date Time menu, the options at the top (marked with an *) that respect the machine locale now show in US format (e.g. M/d/yyyy) on machines with non-US locales e.g. English (Australia).

This appears to only be a problem in the display of the menu.  When date fields are shown in a visual e.g. a Table, the expected non-US locale is used e.g. d/M/yyyy.  

This issue was introduced with the Jan 2018 update to PBI Desktop.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confirmed that standard date slicers relative date slicers are both showing US format dates only. Having to explain this to my customers as an issue with Microsoft's latest product update. Hoping for a fix soon.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

From my tests its definitely affecting Slicers as well now, but not other visuals. I checked existing and new columns, existing and new visuals, brand new PBIX.

Others are reporting issues in the web service - I'm not seeing that. Slicers (that appear wrong (US date format) in PBI Desktop) appear correctly formatted (DD/MM/YYYY) in a browser (Chrome).

Confusion reigns for another month ...

mike_honey
Memorable Member

As this issue is rather complex/messy to communicate, I put together this summary:

PBI date format issues 2018-01.PNG

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I just tried the new build 2.55.5010.641 released 13 Feb 2018, but this issue persists as with the earlier 9 Feb 2018 release.

I did just notice that in a Table visual, Date/Time fields formatted as date/time (the first entry under "Common date formats") appear incorrectly in MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM;SS, where as those formatted as date only appear correctly as DD/MM/YYYY.  

That's unbelievably sloppy work by someone ...

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I just tried the new build 2.56.5023.861 64-bit (7 March 2018), and ... yeah .. na ...

The menu issues have been resolved - great.

The presentation issues in Slicers, Tables & Matrix are still there - very very disappointing. 

kimani
Power BI Team

We have a fix coming for the slicer issue in a QFE. I'll update the thread when the download is available. Sorry about the trouble here. 

mike_honey
Memorable Member

@kimani thanks for the update.  Will that fix also cover the issues with Table & Matrix visuals described above, and the numeric formatting issues described on this post?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Date-slicers-are-fixed-to-US-date-format-since-Feb-2018-Upda...

MFelix
Super User

Hope this get's fixed soon.

Regards,

MFelix

kimani
Power BI Team

A new Power BI Desktop build has been released with a fix for the slicer date format issue. Please install via the download center or Windows Store and give it a try. Let me know if you still run into issues. 

MFelix
Super User

On my part this is solved on the slicers and tables 

Regards,

MFelix