Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Issues in connecting to tabular model

I'm encountering issues when I try to connect PBIDesktop(2.49.4831.521(x64)) or import data from our Tabular SSAS model (SQL server 2016 standard edition).

When I connect live to the model the project works fine for a little while, but after a few clicks it start giving the following error:

Error Message:
An unexpected exception occurred.

OData Error Message:
Failed to execute the DAX query.

When I want to import data it works fine for most measures and dimensions, but for some measures I get an error:

DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: An unexpected exception occurred.
Details:
    DataSourceKind=AnalysisServices
    DataSourcePath=172.xxx.xxx.xx;CubeNameXX

The query that it tries to execute is = Cube.Transform(#"CubeNameXX",
        {
            {Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Amount", "[Measures].[Amount]"}
        })

The srange thing is that we also use this measures in SSRS, without any issues, but after the PBI connection SSR Sdoesn't work either until we delete and recreate the measures. Than SSRS work fine, untill we again use PBI and the issue starts again.

I'm out of ideas how to solve this issue, does anyone encountered such issues befor or have ideas to solve it?

Many thanks!

Comments
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Wybie_TPG
Regular Visitor

Hi Herbert @v-haibl-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. Untill now I was not able to solve it, so your help is highly appreciated!

KR

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Wybie_TPG @PDV_77

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

This is a product defect of SQL Server Analysis Services, not Power BI. The user should file a QFE through Microsoft Customer Support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Wybie_TPG
Regular Visitor

Hi Herbert @v-haibl-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any information on what this defect is called or any other information to describe the defect? This would help us in communicating efficiently with the SSAS team. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Wilbert

Wybie_TPG
Regular Visitor

Hi All, @v-haibl-msft, @Anonymous, @PDV_77,

After the latest comment of Herbert I dived into the issue again and found out that a recent server pack (CU4 - build 13.0.4446.0) for SQL server 2016 contains a fix for this issues. Today we installed the newest service pack (CU5 - build 13.0.4451.0) and tested the PowerBI connection to the tabular model. Untill now it all works smoothly, whil in the past the issue came up afte a few clicks. So I strongly believe that this update indeed solved the issue we encounterted.

Thanks all for your contributions to this topic and I hope that this solution will also help you ( @Anonymous @PDV_77 ) with solving the issue.

Kind regards,

Wilbert

zip_dia
Regular Visitor

Hi @Wybie_TPG,

Did the issue stay solved since you installed the service pack CU5 - build 13.0.4451.0?

Thanks

Wybie_TPG
Regular Visitor

Hi @zip_dia ,

The installation of the mentioned service pack indeed solved the issue we encountered.

Good luck!

Wilbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered