Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Field parameters - Default sorting order resets when changing parameter (BUG?)

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with the new PBI field parameters function (still in preview). It was said this could work as an alternative for a measure which uses SWITCH and SELECTEDVALUE to change between different measures in a visual.

I made a setup of several KPIs in a slicer (Turnover, Productivity, etc.) which refer to different measures, which works perfectly fine when putting it as a single column in a table (it splits the turnover over the different buckets). However, I would like to always have it sorted by the Bucket with the highest Turnover or Productivity instead of alphabetical order, so I apply a sorting order on the visual. This sorting always resets after changing to a different measure. See my screenshots below

Remo__0-1655110563768.png

My initial thought was this coud be because the column name is different, so I tried the same while keeping the same column name:

Remo__1-1655110994049.png

The same issue remains. Which in my opinion makes the function useless for this purpose, because you cannot set any default sorting on a table or matrix visual. Anyone already experienced the same problem or knows whether this is a bug because so far it is only in preview?

If this is the case, I would like to opt this to be fixed before going to General Availability with the field parameters functionality.

Like to hear from all of you!

Hi @Remo_,

This issue has been reported internally(ICM 309586486).  The product group has filed this bug and they are working on the fix. Currently, no expect time available. Please be patient for the fix. Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
ivanpyanev
Regular Visitor

One month later the problem still exists....and I cannot deliver my dashboard because of that. It's so annoying.

RHOU
Advocate III

there is a workaround that inexplicably works by using a Sort column even if you are not sorting anything specifically. E.g. even in numeric columns like Year you simply copy the column and use one as the sort column. Shouldn't make a difference, but suprisingly it solves the issue. 

Not a bug fix, but at least let's you deploy reports for the time being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-8p7_3yZk

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too an experiencing this annoying issue. it is still present in the November 2022 release of power BI.
See the comments from Microsoft team members here. 
http://disq.us/p/2s3w5t0

kewaynes
Helper III

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue. 

Demibg
Regular Visitor

What's the status? The problem is still there..

kewaynes
Helper III

This may help. Kind of a work-around. 

Fields Parameter Tip 2 - Fix Category Sort Order - YouTube

Demibg
Regular Visitor

Thank you! I have already watched this video, but this is unfortuantely still a work-around. And I'm also using measures for field parameters.

LangeHolm
Regular Visitor

This is still a problem that I'm facing in Tables/Matrix visualisations. Any updates on this? 

kewaynes
Helper III

I believe I got around this by sorting the column by and index column. Doesn't work in every scenario...