Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error message: Unable to determine the data source

Since about a week ago one of our reports using a direct query connection have been getting this error:

Unable to determine the data source. When custom connectors are used, the error can happen if gateway doesn't have the extension enabled. Details: {AnalysisErrorMessage}.

What is especially strange about this issue:

- The report has been working fine for more than a year before this error started about a week ago, with no recent changes to the report

- If we publish the report again to Power BI Service, it will work as expected for about an hour or so before the error comes back

- We have published the report both to a regular workspace and a PPU workspace, and the issue is only appearing in the regular workspace

The report is a composite model with import and a direct query source through an on premise gateway. The direct query source is the MySQL Power BI connector from CData.  We have updated both the on premise gateway and the connector to the latest version.

Hi @magnus_b,

It’s weird that this issue is specific in regular workspace. Is the regular workspace in Share capacity or capacity like Premium capacity? If you create a new regular workspace and publish your report there, will you see this issue as well?

Best Regards,    

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
Tes1er_12
Regular Visitor

Hi @magnus_b 

Sorry to bother you but if there is any update from the support tickekt that you have opened that would be very helpful for us.

Thank you all for your help!

magnus_b
Advocate II

@Tes1er_12 Hi! They are still investigating the issue. The latest thing they had me try was reinstalling the gateway, but that did not help. So now I am waiting for their response. I will make sure to give an update once the issue is resolved.

Tes1er_12
Regular Visitor

Thank you @magnus_b , that would be really helpful.

wbetyna
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

I have managed to resolve the issue on my end.
So as I mentioned earlier, I use CDATA custom connector. I have submitted a support request which came back to me today. I will post the answer below but shortly speaking there was a mismatch of the .pqx file used in the Custom Connectors folder and the current build of the CData Power BI Connector in use. I smply replaced it with the one from Program Files directory and the issue has disappeared. Details from CDATA support:

The root cause of this error is that the Datasets in Power BI Online are unable to identify the data sources they are mapped to and this needs to be configured manually. 

One thing that could cause this is a mismatch of the .pqx file used in the Custom Connectors folder and the current build of the CData Power BI Connector in use. 

To check this, please go to the file path 'C:\Program Files\CData\CData Power BI Connector for Odoo', find the file named CData.Odoo.pqx, and then move it to the folder 'C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors\'.

Once the folder is in the new location, restart the On-Premise Gateway completely and see if that resolves the issue. 

Should this persist, the next solution will require you to go to your Power BI Online instance. When here, find the small Gear icon in the upper right, click on it, and then select the 'Settings' option. 

Once here, find and click on the 'DataSets' tab. 

Click on the 'DataSets' tab in the aforementioned window. Here, you should be able to see various reports that you have published to Power BI Online here. Click on the report that throws the error.

Under the yellow warning box, click on 'Discover Data Sources'. This should manually discover various data source connections to your PowerBI service.

Click on 'Gateway Connection' and look at the window that mentions the DSN connection and 'Maps to:' field:

wbetyna_0-1661870663233.png

Select the data source you want to map this dataset to and click on 'Apply'.

Once this is done, refresh the browser window, go back to your workspace, and try to load the Report now. With the necessary DSN being mapped, the issue should be resolved and you will be good to go! 

Tes1er_12
Regular Visitor

Hi @wbetyna ,

Many thanks for this. It worked.

magnus_b
Advocate II

@wbetyna Thank you, this worked for me as well!