Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Duplicate Workspace Error using Power BI API

Sometimes when using the API to create workspaces I get the error

status code:400, statusMsg:Bad Request -
{"error":
{"code":"DuplicateGroupNameError","pbi.error":
{"code":"DuplicateGroupNameError","parameters":{},"details":[]}
}
} for workspaceName:WORKSPACENAME-123456

Yet on the service website, no workspaces are listed, and querying the API group list also returns an empty list.

Oddly, on the services website I can still create a workspace with the same name and delete it, but the error still persists when using the REST API.

Another note, not sure if related, but I also received this error before I started getting duplicate name errors (same route for creating workspaces):

status code:404, statusMsg:Not Found - 
{"error":
{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailedResourceNotFound","pbi.error":
{"code":"ADGraphGroupOperationFailedResourceNotFound","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}
}
}

Comments
v-ljerr-msft
Employee

Hi @dgdragon,

According to your description above, I just verified that I can use the REST API to create a new workspace/group without any issue.

addgroup.PNG

I only get the DuplicateGroupNameError when I try recreating the same workspace/group. Have you tried create the workspace/group with a different name?

In addition, if the issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

dgdragon
Frequent Visitor

@v-ljerr-msft

Yes, it does normally work. This error seems to randomly occur after deleting a worskpace and renders a specific workspace name permanently unusable via the API. For now we are just doing a work around with UUIDs. Will submit a ticket later.