Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drilldown level field parameter only persisted in lower levels than field parameter level

Hi there!

I found an issue with using field parameters and drill DOWN.

I would like to use a field parameter in my report to switch between weekly and monthly reporting. I consider it a more elegant solution than having the same visual twice with bookmarks and buttons. However, I ran into this interesting case. 

In my gif, you will see that I start drilled down from year into month. Then I switch to week, and the view is reset to year again, and I have to drill back down in order to see the weeks. I thought this would always happen when you switch field parameters. However, it doesnt when you drill down even further to date. When you do that, the week/month choice is preserved, and you are not booted back to the year-level. So powerBI is able to maintain the field parameter level, but only when drilling down deeper than the field parameter level itself. 

the behaviourthe behaviour

It's inconsistent behaviour, which is weird.

Have a nice day!

Jaap

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn

To reproduce your problem, I create a parameter contains Month and Week, put it in the X-axis. In order to drill down, I also put Year and Date in the X-axis, the order is Year>Parameter>Date, the result is the same with your description.

field parameter1.gif

But after I change the X-axis order to Parameter>Date>Year, when I drill down to Date level in Month slicer, then select Week in the slicer, the chart still back to Week.

field parameter2.gif

I think it's related to the order of the X-axis, if you think the design should have some improvement, you may create an idea in the idea forum to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What's more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_kalyj

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn

To reproduce your problem, I create a parameter contains Month and Week, put it in the X-axis. In order to drill down, I also put Year and Date in the X-axis, the order is Year>Parameter>Date, the result is the same with your description.

field parameter1.gif

But after I change the X-axis order to Parameter>Date>Year, when I drill down to Date level in Month slicer, then select Week in the slicer, the chart still back to Week.

field parameter2.gif

I think it's related to the order of the X-axis, if you think the design should have some improvement, you may create an idea in the idea forum to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What's more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_kalyj

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Hey Kalyj!

Thanks for taking the effort of looking at the ticket and doing your own research as well! 

To me, this seems like a bug, the behaviour on the levels above the parameter level and the behaviour below the parameter level are different from the behaviour at the parameter level, but if you don't agree, thats fine too and I'll move this to the ideas forum.