Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [07006] [Oracle][ODBC]Restricted data type attribute violation

Hello,

in Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.41.4581.361 32-bit (November 2016)) I want to connect to an Oracle data base via ODBC.

I do have an ODBC data source set up, which so far worked fine in application MS Access 2016 and MS Excel 2016. In Power BI, however, I get an error.

At first the connection seems to wok fine, I get a list of all tables in the data base as expected. But when I try to load a table, the following error message comes up:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [07006] [Oracle][ODBC]Restricted data type attribute violation.

Details:

DataSourceKind=Odbc

DataSourcePath=dsn=LAWRPT90

OdbcErrors=Table

However, if in settings in SQL statement optional field I put something like SELECT * FROM TABLE_NAME I can access specific table. This could be a workaround for me but it’s very inconvenient approach

I have same issue connecting in Power Query or Power Pivot in Excel 2016.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Thanks, Danil

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@bogomda

Could you please try with the latest Jan 2017 version to see if the issue persists?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

bogomda
Helper II

Herbert,

just checked and the the issue still persists with the latest January 2017 Power BI Desktop.

Bogomda

bogomda
Helper II

Feb realese doesnt fix the problem

javitodepinypon

same problem here...

Nikunjryder
Regular Visitor

same problem has anyone find solution??

i am getting the below error:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [07006] [AR System ODBC Driver]Conversion error
Details:
    DataSourceKind=Odbc
    DataSourcePath=dsn=AR System ODBC Data Source
    OdbcErrors=Table

jrussi
Same problem here, with Excel Power Query. DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [07006] [Oracle][ODBC]Restricted data type attribute violation. Any solution?
Nikunjryder
Regular Visitor

No solution at all Yet. Microsoft needs to step in and help us but i dont know if anyone is looking at this post.

bogomda
Helper II

Power BI technology is great but useless for me until this issue is resolved. i can't connect to my data source which is fundamental problem.

Microsoft, please help!!!!! 🙂

MartinBerke

Still no solution for this Problem?

Thanks for an answer