Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Column description property sets table description, changing this creates 'apply changes' loop

In model view I am setting the description property of fields.  For some reason setting the field description sets the tables description property as well to the same value.

If I then edit the table description Power BI prompts to 'apply changes'.  It is not possible to clear the apply changes by clicking apply changes or discard changes.  It is stuck.  Only resolution is to rollback file to an earlier copy.

Comments
price1d
Frequent Visitor

I don't think I made the issue clear enough: 

1. Set column description property, table description property is also set automatically).  Apply changes is prompted but works
  2. Continue step #1 as many times as desired
  3. Table description property will be set to last column description set in step #2
  4. Update table description property to ensure it makes sense rather than having a column description property
  5. Apply changes is prompted and now will not clear - irrespective of 'apply' or 'discard' selected
  6. As apply changes is now stuck it is no longer possible to update any further descriptions or continue with anything that requires apply changes to be completed 
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @price1d 

Set the column description first, and then set table description in the power query as below last:

7.JPG

This will solve your case.

Regards,

Lin

price1d
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-lili6-msft ,

Thank-you and yes the approach you detailed works.  However if the table description property is ever set the way I described then updating the table description using power query still does not resolve it and the apply changes remains stuck.

I also found another workaround which is to set a hidden column's description in order to set the table description property. 

Regards,

Dan