Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Can't establish a connection Postgre Server via Organisational Gateway

Dear Sir or Madam,

we have a problem regarding PowerBI access to our local postgre server in our infrastructure.

The PowerBI Gateway was returning an error that we need to install the "Npgsql 4.0.10 " plug-in.

astamenenkovik_0-1651587276571.png

After installment on our local gateway machine the issue is still occuring.

The plug-in is also visible in Visual Studio 2019 on the gateway machine, meaning it is properly existing on the machine.

Nevertheless, we are still not able to connect to PowerBI through this local organisational gateway to our local postgre server. 

The connection is properly working in Power BI Desktop, while the problem only occurs while connecting to the Power BI Online Services.

Could you please support us here and provide us with a solution?

We kindly ask you to contact us.

Kind regards,

Aleksandar Stamenkovikj

Seems like could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test when I tried to conect to my Postgres DB in Power BI Desktop and configure gateway in Power BI Service to refresh the report.

If could not configure gateway for the database connector directly, you can try to use ODBC connector to connect to Postgres and configure gateway for it in Power BI Service for this connector to check this again, see:

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Seems like could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test when I tried to conect to my Postgres DB in Power BI Desktop and configure gateway in Power BI Service to refresh the report.

If could not configure gateway for the database connector directly, you can try to use ODBC connector to connect to Postgres and configure gateway for it in Power BI Service for this connector to check this again, see:

PostgreSQL To Power BI: 3 Best Ways To Connect 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

astamenenkovik
Frequent Visitor

Hi v-yingjl,

I' not sure whether ODBC connection is a solution, as we need to make a direct query between Postgre and Power BI. By ODBC the query folding could be lost.

Kindly note , that the problem arises only when we try to refresh the report in Power BI Service or trying to configure the gateway in Power BI Service. Power BI Desktop refreshing is working properly.

Could you please provide us with a further solution?

Thank you.

astamenenkovik
Frequent Visitor

I am adding a screenshot from the packages installed on our side, including the required Npgsql v. 4.0.10.

astamenenkovik_0-1651650841890.png

astamenenkovik
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

We have solved the problem, a GAC Installation of npgsql 4.0.10. was reqiered, and not the regular one.

Kind regards,