Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: meta data from source view doesn't update

I use SQL views as the data source for Power BI. These views are stored in a database in SQL Server 2016 SP1 Enterprise edition.

When I add fields to the view, and then try to add them to my table in Power BI as well by going to the query, the new field doesn't show up. The refresh button does not work, or at least it doesn't refresh the meta data from the source.

To get the field in my table, what I do is a "Remove all other columns" command from the power query GUI, then go to the M code and add the new field to the list of fields in M. Then the GUI shows an error but when applying it simply works. The problem however is that once someone opens the "Remove all other columns" step in the GUI, the new field is removed from the M code (which makes sense).

Power BI team, please make the query also update the meta data and recognise new fields. Thanks a lot!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @bland,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on Power BI desktop version 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017) get view from SQL Server Enterprise SP1 13.0.4001.0 view. Based on my test, when we get view via SQL data source in desktop without any T-SQL query specified, once we add a new column into the view on SQL side, refresh data in desktop can retrieve the new column as well. 

In your scenario, please try the same Power BI desktop version as ours. Also please check if Power Query like below: 

q2.PNG

Before refresh data in desktop, please execute the query in SSMS to make sure the new column in view is added successfully. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info