Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bug: UpdateReportContent and Dashboards

If we have a report with multiple tabs and we pin one of the tabs as a dashboard, then we update the report using UpdateReportContent on the REST API. If the tabs have been changed the dashboards can be broken without warning.

Looking into it, the tabs have an underlying generated name which it seems the dashboards reference. So in this instance a user recreated the tab which resulted in a changed name. It would be good be able to repoint the dashboards or in some way warn that dashboards will be affected if you change the tabs.

Hi @JAnder 

So when you change the page name in report and use UpdateReportContent on the REST API , the dashboare will be broken without warning , right ? Can you describe your problem in more detail through screenshots or videos?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @JAnder 

So when you change the page name in report and use UpdateReportContent on the REST API , the dashboare will be broken without warning , right ? Can you describe your problem in more detail through screenshots or videos?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

JAnder
Helper I

@v-yetao1-msft

Hi, not quite. If for example the content from a tab is copied and pasted into a new tab, then the old tab deleted or repurposed. Then it breaks the dashboards. Obviously something that shouldn't be done, bit of an edge case, but out BI person did just that recently.

To recreate the problem you can follow these steps.

1. Create a report with 2 tabs
  2. Pin one of those tabs as a dashboard
  3. Update the pbix by changing the content of your pinned tab or removing it.
  4. Update the report using UpdateReportContent 

Now if you deleted the pinned tab the dashboard is broken or if you changed the content the dashboard shows the different content.

I think it just somehow needs to track the tab is pinned and warn if that tab is changed. I will see if I can recreate it on a basic example later. My current example has data I can't show.