Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Decimal number format & export

I found a general bug of PBI (Desktop + Service): 

• when a decimal number is formatted to have 0 decimal place, any export from PBI into csv will only export the whole number, but no decimal

This has led to a lot compatilibity issues, for example, PBI users may want to format the field to 0 decimal in order to have a clean visual, however, since csv is rounded, export loses a lot of accuracy. I have a dataset which exported csv doesn't match original, the error margin is very large. 

I think MS needs to fix this issue in order for the tool to be more accurate and useful.

Version: 2.128.751.0 64-bit (April 2024)

Capture.JPG

Hi @QC 

PBI Desktop has been updated to version 2.128.1177.0 , please update your Desktop to the latest one and check whether the problem persists. If the issue still exists in the new version, I will verify and get back to PG. Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @QC 

PBI Desktop has been updated to version 2.128.1177.0 , please update your Desktop to the latest one and check whether the problem persists. If the issue still exists in the new version, I will verify and get back to PG. Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I just tested with the latest version but it didn't fix the issue, screenshot attached >> 

Capture.JPG

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi  @QC 

Based on the settings in your screenshot, I set up the Discounts field and exported it to a csv format, but the result shown is a complete data and does not omit the data after the decimal point. Did you change the field types in the csv's after exporting? 

vyetao1msft_1-1714530563996.png
vyetao1msft_0-1714530545931.png

Where is this screenshot of the setup? I don't see this setting when I export.

vyetao1msft_0-1714531059377.png

Best Regards,

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi, the last screenshot is from PBI data import of csv file just created.

To recreate the bug:

• create a simple data table in PBI
  • format a decimal field to 0 decimal using PBI field format function
  • create a table visual, add the data field to the table, then use table visual's format function to add 2 decimal places to the said field
  • export the table to csv
  • check the exported csv file

Capture.JPG