Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Being prompted for credentials each time I open Power BI desktop version 2.117.894 and later

Running a VM with 2 processors and 32 GB of RAM
Windows Server 2016 standard 64-bit
Version 1607

OS Build 14393.5501

Everytime I open Power BI Desktop I'm being promtped to re-enter my login credentials... This appears to have started on 2.117.894 which was found after some testing.
This is incredibly frustrating and annoying as I need to enter my full e-mail/AD password (multiple times) and also authenticate via Ping ID every time I open Power BI desktop. Previous version did not have this issue and functioned as expected caching the credentials, allowing me to open a new Power BI desktop window without needing to re-authenticate every time.

I have installed previous version of Power BI but am unable to open and .pbix file I edited in a more recent version... the following list is the versions tested to document when the issues started to occur:

2.115.663 - not re-prompted to login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.116.622 - not re-promptedto login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.116.996 - not re-prompted to login each time, user image shows up, pbix files do not load

2.117.894 and after - re-prompted for login each time, user image does not show up, pbix files load

The "user image" is simply my avatar that is set on office365 for my user account within my company

None of the labels made sense for this issue, but I was required to add one.

Update:

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
pauliinah
Frequent Visitor

Same issue and somewhat linked to this: it would be nice if the sign-in window said that it is Power BI Desktop that is requesting the sign-in. At the moment the window title is just "Sign in" and if I happen to have multiple applications open or opening it can be a bit confusing.

BPick

Updated to version 2.119.986.0, still having the same issues.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Update:

There has been internal feedback from engineers about this issue and it will be fixed in a future release, no definite ETA at this time.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

lkalawski
Memorable Member

Hi! 

Is there any update on this?

jongpl

My organization is experiencing this issue as well. Holding off on updating the client until it is resolved. Any info on in which release?

Robin_Oliphant

Same problem for me running on June 2023 Power BI Desktop.  Issue seems to have arisen when I changed password on the account linked to the Power BI service.

Really holding me back on my reporting duties.  Any hint as to when this issue will be resolved?

vfalmeida
Frequent Visitor

Any updates on that? I'm having to log in like 30 times every day. This is a security risk.

lkalawski
Memorable Member

Hi v-xiaoyan-msft (Community Support),

Any update on that? I have September version and still a lot of prompts. This is not acceptable.

ErwanL

Hello

Same issue since this summer.

I've applied the october update this morning (version 2.122.746.0 64 bit, windows 11 pro) but it doesn't solve the problem. Always 8 sign-in requests in the last 3 hours !!

As @lkalawski , i think that it's not acceptable after many weeks.

@v-xiaoyan-msft : do you have any update ?

GWerling
Advocate I

Hi all,  I reported this same type issue back in June:  May 2023, June 2023, and now July 2023 prompts sig... - Microsoft Fabric Community. In September @DivingJoen  posted a comment on my issue thread to try the following: 

Workaround was creating an entry in the registry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop. When adding "DisableWam" as DWORD with value 1 it worked beautifully. Kudos to Microsoft Support for providing us with that temporary workaround (issue is expected to be solved in future iterations of PBI Desktop).

This seemed to have resolved my issue of multiple logins.  I am no longer prompted multiple times to login when I first open a report on a device I have to RDP into.  It does seem to take a few tiks to fully open any report, but I am not prompted for login anymore.

Many thanks again to @DivingJoen for providing what worked for them!