Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: Visual Image getting cropped with 'Copy as Image with Caption' option.

There is an issue with 'Copy Image with Caption' option in PowerBI service, where the required visual is getting cropped and not able to see the complete visual in the image generated. 

Attached screenshots of visual and the cropped image obtained from the 'copy visual' option, below:

Visual Screenshot:

kishoree_0-1689000891360.jpeg

Screenshot of visual generated by 'Copy Visual' Option:

kishoree_1-1689000891362.jpeg

Hi @kishoree 

I tried to restore the scenario you mentioned but failed . I use the 'Copy Image with Caption' option in PowerBI service, then paste the visual in PPT ,  the final result displayed is the same as before copying. Can you describe your procedure in detail. Does the same situation exist for other visual except the one you mentioned?

vyetao1msft_0-1689040501598.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @kishoree 

I tried to restore the scenario you mentioned but failed . I use the 'Copy Image with Caption' option in PowerBI service, then paste the visual in PPT ,  the final result displayed is the same as before copying. Can you describe your procedure in detail. Does the same situation exist for other visual except the one you mentioned?

vyetao1msft_0-1689040501598.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

kishoree
Employee

Hi @v-yetao1-msft (Ailsa Tao)

Below are the detailed steps, where the issue is encountered:

Step-1: Select the required Visual, and click on 'copy to clipboard with caption' option. 

kishoree_1-1689160798296.png

Step-2: Image with Caption is generated and copied as below:

kishoree_4-1689161646116.png

Step-3:  Paste the copied content in any of the Office Apps (In this case, it is pasted in word)

kishoree_5-1689161892096.png

When 'Copy Visual with Caption' option is used, The image generated is cropped, and even when pasted in any of the Office apps, it is still cropped.

FYI, The issue mentioned is the same with other visuals as well, throughout the report.

arthur_clifford
Regular Visitor

I can confirm the behavior too.

Adding padding to the right side doesn't seem to help I increased the padding from 5px to 15px and it had no effect.

I tried adding a backround and setting its opacity to 0 as a voodoo trick to see if it would make the routine doing the clipping think there was a fill out to the border. 

Changing the width of the visual also has no effect. But the crop point (~half-way through the y-axis label) is consistent.

I'm guessing that total output width is adding pad on one side and not adjusting the total output width correctly. 
In other words. the image width is calculated, then the image is given a top and left padding to make it inset from the border of the image, but the width of the output image is set to image width + output left pad instead of image width + 2 x output left pad. 

arthur_clifford_0-1695205112543.png

Open in Power BI
BLS QCEW
Data as of 9/20/23, 2:57 AM
Filtered by area_title (is San Luis Obispo County, California or Santa Barbara County, California), year (is 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, or 2023)

Not cropping the bottom isn't obvious because it is not cutting anything off, but it is also not giving the same padding at the bottom of the cropped image as it is at the top. 

arthur_clifford_1-1695206241175.png

This image is from the editor on this page and you can kind of see that the border at the bottom is right at the bottom of the bottom label whereas the top border has a nice padding before the title and at the left. 

nayanrathi_cat
Frequent Visitor

This issue is still there, and needed most error free solution.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Can confirm that the bug still persists

DataVizGuy
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue here as well. I develop visuals for high level reports that get sent to EVPs, and when my end users go to copy the visuals into the report, the right hand side is cut off.

This can be particularly problematic when slicing a bar chart by business unit, as sometimes only one bar is displayed and copied into the report. If this bar displays 74 for its data label, selecting "Copy -> Image" will cut off the trailing "4" and leave only the leading "7," resulting in what looks like highly inaccurate data.

If there's anyway fixing this bug could be prioritized, I'm sure many Power BI users would greatly appreciate it. Nobody likes having innaccurate data in their reports, especially high level reports.

courtney_k

I am having the same issue here. I was hoping this was fixed int he new version. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? @kishoree 

DataVizGuy
Frequent Visitor

I opened up a support ticket with Microsoft, they are apparently already working on a fix. Not sure what the timeline for deployment looks like however.

In the meantime, I simply placed my data labels inside the bars within my visual, rather than having them on the right hand side. Contrast is not as great with our color scheme but at least the numbers are accurate.

JamieHofer
Frequent Visitor

@DataVizGuy @kishoree 

By chance did either of you hear any status back from Microsoft regarding this known issue? The last update on this issue appears to have been posted in November of 2023.

kishoree
Employee

@JamieHofer @DataVizGuy

We have not heard back from Microsoft yet, and we still see that this issue remains unresolved.