Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: New Matrix Visual not slicing properly in Power BI Service

Hello:

I have a model that is using a deployed Power BI model as a data source. On one page that has (new) Matrix visuals, I see different behaviour between Power BI Desktop and the web service. On the desktop, clicking one of the Slicer members filters all four Matrix visuals properly. But on the web, clicking the same Slicer member only filters TWO of the four matrix visuals.

Screen shot is included but the resolution may be bad. On the right is the Desktop, on the left is the Service. On each, notice the first and third matrix visuals on the respective left side of the canvase.

2017-08-02_12-57-50.jpg

Comments
ToddChitt
Super User

Follow up: The calculation in question WAS along the lines of:

Measure = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'Table Name' ), 'Same Table'[Field 1] = "Something", 'Same Table'[Field 2] = "Something Else" )

The particular slice displayed does not have any rows that meet the two filters defined in the CALCULATE statement above. On the Desktop, it simply shows an empty Matrix. On the Service, however, since there were no rows, it DOES NOT CHANGE what was displayed. If I select a slice that has a COUNTROWS of 30, then switch back to the first slice, I still see the 30. If I remove the slice filter and have a grand total of 60, when I slice again, I still see 60.

I re-configured the Measure as follows:

Wrap the entire calculation in a IF ( )  and ISBLANK() statement as follows:

IF ( ISBLANK (<my original calculation> ), 0, <my original calculaiton> ).

That seemed to fix it because it FORCES the 0 to be shown for the slice that WAS empty.

Still, I think this is a BUG. Defferent behaviors between Desktop and Service for basic things like slicing on a report!

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ToddChitt

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 43905884
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ToddChitt

This issue should has been fixed now. Please have a check on your side.

Best Regards,
Herbert

ToddChitt
Super User

Yes, I can confirm that the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the quick turn-around.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

SteveD2
Resolver I

I'm not sure if this is related, but I have also noticed a difference in filtering behavior between the Desktop filtering of the matrix visual and the Service filtering. To explain;

In Desktop, if I have two matrix visuals, clicking on a row in one matrix will filter the other matrix, and even if I hide one of the tables with Bookmarks, the default filtering behavior between tables is maintained as per below.Desktop: Default filtering behaviourDesktop: Default filtering behaviourDesktop: A selection in Table 1 is made when Table 2 is hidden.Desktop: A selection in Table 1 is made when Table 2 is hidden.Desktop: Table 2 is revealed and the filter selection in Table 1 is still active.Desktop: Table 2 is revealed and the filter selection in Table 1 is still active.

However, in the Power BI Service, the selection in Table 1 is not maintained like the Desktop. See below.PBI Service retains the default filtering behaviour between tables.PBI Service retains the default filtering behaviour between tables.Service: Table 2 only reflects the filtering from the slicer and not the selection in Table 1 (Hidden).Service: Table 2 only reflects the filtering from the slicer and not the selection in Table 1 (Hidden).

I believe this has only become apparent since the August update.

Let me know if you require any further information.