Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Admin monitoring refresh failure

Hello,

The datasets in the new Admin monitoring workspace wont refresh anymore. Also it is not possible as an Power BI admin to get an Admin role for this workspace. So i can't check te dataset settings.

refresh1.png

Error details:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","pbi.error":{"code":"ModelRefresh_ShortMessage_ProcessingError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"The credentials provided for the AdminInsights source are invalid. (Source at AdminInsights.)"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 706ff8a3-0141-46d3-870f-5ac5c38258b7
Request ID: aaee75b8-262c-4e9e-87a6-158967a5a2d5
Time: 2023-05-28 09:42:21Z

Hi @Tiemen ,

I found that there are users in other threads with a similar problem to your feedback, but it is not reproducible in my case, I will continue to investigate the issue and will feedback here once I have any progress.

Datasets in Admin Monitoring workspace fail - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
TSami
Regular Visitor

OK, so it IS possible to delete it with Admin rights. Just not from UI but with API call. Not sure about the logic in this but.. hey ho.

XCT
Frequent Visitor

So I have contacted the MS support. I have deleted the worspace with the REST admin API and my admin account. I have re installed the Admin Monitoring Workspace. It has worked well two days and failed again...

karo
Post Patron

I have also opened a Support Ticket and waiting for solution. I will keep you posted.

bogdanblaga
Employee

Thanks for the feedback. We are still investigating some of the refresh issues described. Please continue to open support tickets for better tracking and visibility into all the known issues. We will provide more updates when available. 

Appreciate your patience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@XCT so you managed to delete the workspace but the same issue occurred? I am still waiting for the API so I can make the required calls, however I suspect it also won't work. Or did you manage to fix it yet?

bogdanblaga
Employee

@Anonymous here is the API to delete the workspace, which requires Tenant Admin role:

HTTP DELETE https://api.powerbi.com/v1/admin/workspaces/{Workspace ID}

After deleting (should get response 200 OK), navigate to the Admin Monitoring workspace again from UI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bogdanblaga This is not possible since the api has no admin righst for the workspace, nor am I possible to give any admin rights to e.g. a service principal. Hence, I receive below response.

_Remo__0-1687522106491.png

This microsoft 'out-of-the-box' feature has been promoted since the start of this year, but once again bugs occur and are not being addressed in a correct manner. I had support from microsoft, but the also told me to use API calls using a service principal, which is also not possible as it is not possible to give admin rights on the workspace to the service principal...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@karo has it been resolved in your case? 

karo
Post Patron

@AnonymousI got the same workaround from MS Support. I deleted Admin monitoring Workspace via PowerShell. Since succesfull deletion, the refreshes mostly working, however it is still under investigation. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@karo somehow I can't get the API to work to delete the workspace. I keep receiving 'PowerBINotAuthorizedException', which implies I don't have sufficient rights. Even as Fabric Administrator. How'd you delete yours?

I have to add to that, a collegue of mine tried the same proces in his 'private tenant', and as long as you are not admin on the workspace, it is not possible to delete the workspace by the API, but I cannot grant any additional rights because I am not admin on the workspace...