Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adding Columns from different tables to dropdown slicer causes Power BI Desktop to hang.

When you add a column into a slicer visual which has columns that are from a different table (not necessarily in a relationship), power bi desktop hangs and requires a restart meaning any changes since the last autosave are lost.

Crash.jpg

Hi @MattSwan 

You mean you had two unrelated tables and then selected one from each of them to add to the slicer and then Desktop hung, causing your operation to not be saved, right?

I don't really understand what you are trying to do with this. Fields from two tables that are not related can't be added to a slicer. Because slicer does not support many-to-many relationships.

Ailsamsft_0-1677738129041.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @MattSwan 

You mean you had two unrelated tables and then selected one from each of them to add to the slicer and then Desktop hung, causing your operation to not be saved, right?

I don't really understand what you are trying to do with this. Fields from two tables that are not related can't be added to a slicer. Because slicer does not support many-to-many relationships.

Ailsamsft_0-1677738129041.png

Best Regards,

MattSwan
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's when I copy a slicer visual to use on another dashboard while retaining that slicer's formatting. It saves time doing this rather than creating the slicer from scratch and applying all of the formattings. However, I'm having to remember to remove the column before adding the new one otherwise it causes power bi to hang and ultimately crash. If I've done a fair bit of work prior to this and after an autosave, it's lost.

Regardless, the app shouldn't be crashing in this instance, the slicer should just fail to load any data.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @MattSwan 

You can see from my screenshot that visual is not displaying, but Desktop is not running down. Maybe your data is large or the selected column contains more complex operations, which causes Desktop to crash. 

When there is more data, it is not suitable for you to operate like this. If the data is not very complex, it is still recommended that you do not add fields that have no relationship in the slicer.

Best Regards,