Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

it is an issue. Cumulative balance is showing ghost transactions

This is for an Accounting system cumulative balance for Balance Sheets.  Granulatity is to the transaction level.

Have same model in P-BI and PP, but P-BI is showing ghost transactions, verify multiple times.  PP matches accounting system, but P-BI shows wrong balances both in Desktop and different results in cloud.

Hi @carlosrojaspdx 

May I know what’s your data source and connection mode? Is your issue that the data your retrieve from your data source different from the data in it? Or your issue is the value of a Measure or Calculated column is not the expected?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @carlosrojaspdx 

May I know what’s your data source and connection mode? Is your issue that the data your retrieve from your data source different from the data in it? Or your issue is the value of a Measure or Calculated column is not the expected?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

carlosrojaspdx
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Caiyun,
After 6 hours I was able to figure it out, although I don't know why.  This is what is happening:
In accounting, we operate in months and years (calendar or fiscal).  We usually do cut offs at both month and year.  In our case our accounting system started 12/31/2018 with balances forward from the previous accounting system.

I was working on reports as of 12/31/2021 (which is also the end of the calendar table), but the operations of the business continues, so we had transactions in January 2022 that Power BI was making them appear as part of the balances in December 2018 and randomtly  in other years (with similar GL codes).
Once I updated the Calendar table to 12/31/2022 then the problem dissapeared, but only after 6 hours of chassing my tail.  The problem persisted not matter which cumulative balance measure I used (like from SQLBI, or others offered on the web).
I'm not sure why this is happening, but it is an interesting and FRUSTRATING Power BI phenomena.
Thanks.  Carlos