Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Visuals show (Blank) after daily report auto-refresh

I wrote a query to pull data from a SQL Server in the PowerBI desktop app (Import, not DirectQuery). After building the report and all the visuals, I saved the document into our company Sharepoint and uploaded it to the PowerBI web app. Then I scheduled a refresh to happen daily. Up until about a month ago, everything worked perfectly. Then all of a sudden about a month or so ago, after the daily refresh, every visual in the report shows (Blank). When I go into the PowerBI document in the desktop app, click Refresh, then Save, then go back into the web app and refresh the report there, everything is back to normal. Below are screenshots of what I'm seeing. I can't figure out why this is happening and would be curious to know if this has happened to anyone else. Any guidance would be lovely! Thanks!

EDIT: Recently, even after refreshing the dataset in the web app, it still shows blank, even though the refresh in the desktop app works fine. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the connection between SharePoint and Power BI on the web app, but not sure.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 082232.pngScreenshot 2023-04-10 082314.png

Hi @LEK_RGMI ,

If you used import mode, have you configured gateway? If so, the dataset connect to data source directly, you don't need to refresh report in Desktop. Just check if the gateway connection is fine in Settings>Dataset.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1681199514868.png

Then check if the SQL instance works fine in SSMS. If all is fine, click the "Edit" button in Service, check if all columns are there, you can also create a new visual to test.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @LEK_RGMI ,

If you used import mode, have you configured gateway? If so, the dataset connect to data source directly, you don't need to refresh report in Desktop. Just check if the gateway connection is fine in Settings>Dataset.

vyanjiangmsft_0-1681199514868.png

Then check if the SQL instance works fine in SSMS. If all is fine, click the "Edit" button in Service, check if all columns are there, you can also create a new visual to test.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

LEK_RGMI
Regular Visitor

It says I don't need a gateway. The SQL instance works. I check it regularly. It seems to be an issue with the scheduled refresh. I tried creating a new report in the web app off the dataset and no data seems to be present--everything returns empty visuals. I have a feeling it has something to do with the credential verification for the database I'm accessing. I'm creating the reports on my company Microsoft account, but have to use another Microsoft account which has the credentials needed to access the database. The report works fine in the desktop version and when I first upload it to the Power BI web app, but then goes blank after a scheduled refresh.

LEK_RGMI_0-1681329907649.png