Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SELECTCOLUMNS() select only one column doesnt work anymore with PowerBI 2.49

Hello anyone,

(i have posted this already on the "Deskop" Forum, you can find it at: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SELECTCOLUMNS-select-only-one-Column-doesnt-work-anymore-wi...)

i have to add another Column to an Existing Table, this Column has to be the "InternalId" from an Location, this Location has a LocationId. Now i select from an second Table the InternalId, if the LocationIds are the same.

This has worked great, with PowerBI Version 2.48 and the following DAX-Formula:

InternalId = SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter(ALLSELECTED(Locations);Sales[LocationId] = Locations[LocationId]);"InternalId";Locations[InternalId])

Now after the Update to Version 2.49.4831.521 (64 Bit) the Formula doesnt work anymore, it shows an error that its not possible to select more then one Column.

"The expression references multiple columns. Multiple columns can not be converted to a scalar value."

At the following you can see the Tables structure.

Sales:

IdSalesSumMonthArticleIdLocationIdInternalId
1200€111123456
2134€2359876

(The InternalId Column should be this Value but it shows only "Error")

Locations:

LocationIdInternalId

Is it maybe an PowerBi Bug?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Jan Inhoff

Comments
jinhoff_BFR
Regular Visitor

Hello anyone,

i have to add another Column to an Existing Table, this Column has to be the "InternalId" from an Location, this Location has a LocationId. Now i select from an second Table the InternalId, if the LocationIds are the same.

This has worked great, with PowerBI Version 2.48 and the following DAX-Formula:

InternalId = SELECTCOLUMNS(Filter(ALLSELECTED(Locations);Sales[LocationId] = Locations[LocationId]);"InternalId";Locations[InternalId])

Now after the Update to Version 2.49.4831.521 (64 Bit) the Formula doesnt work anymore, it shows an error that its not possible to select more then one Column.

"The expression references multiple columns. Multiple columns can not be converted to a scalar value."

At the following you can see the Tables structure.

Sales:

IdSalesSumMonthArticleIdLocationIdInternalId
1200€111123456
2134€2359876

(The InternalId Column should be this Value but it shows only "Error")

Locations:

LocationIdInternalId

Any Idea, why this is the case? And what can i do to fix it?
Is it maybe an PowerBi Bug?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Jan Inhoff

Greg_Deckler
Super User

I would look into LOOKUPVALUE. You might consider posting this to the Issues forum.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jinhoff_BFR,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 44734806. Will update here once get information.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jinhoff_BFR,

Please see below response from PG team:

This is a product defect that has been fixed already. The fix will be shipped in September release of Power BI. That being said, user's DAX expression is not the best way to achieve what he wants, a simple RELATED(Locations[InternalId]) will do.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

AlexanderK79
Advocate III

This bug affects one of our planning dashboards. We have a big problem caused by this bug. Is there any other way than waiting to solve the problem?

jinhoff_BFR
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft,

thank you very much for your quick feedback.

RELATED() works very well in my case, thank you.

Best regards

Jan Inhoff

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@AlexanderK79 Please try the Related() function as suggested in my previous post.

@jinhoff_BFR You're welcome. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

AlexanderK79
Advocate III

I've tried the related function, but it doesn't work in my situation, because it is a complex relationship.

Also, if it is fixed in the next release, then it is a lot of rework for me (I've used SELECTCOLUMNS in a dozen different tables 😞

When will the September version be released exactly?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @AlexanderK79,

Generally the desktop will be released at the beginning of the September.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu