Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI snowflake connector overwrites datasource with same datawarehouse

I have  different reports connecting to snowflake datawarehouse with different usernames and roles. whenever I publish a report it replaces the datasource created by the previous report.

What I learnt is that the datasource is identified by hostname and warehouse name and its common to all reports having same datawarehouse. From "manage connections & gateways" menu I can see only one datasource is created for these reports.

In snowflake datawarehouse is virtual compute resource which can operate on multiple databases and many users can share the datawarehouse. Its not practical to have individual datawarehouse to each user when there are multiple users having different level of data acess and want to create reports.

Note : we want to use directquery mode always.

Example :

Now If I publish report R2 with WH1 as warehouse, U2 as username and role2 as role. if you notice this is the different report having same warehouse but different username and role but still it updates the same datasource in PBI service, due to which it impacts the report R1 which stops working as U2 & role2 are not suitable for report R1.

We have many users/Roles to create reports with different access levels. With the help of roles we have more granularity of access control, not only rows of the tables but we also have restrictions on tables as well.

In short if we have common warehouse for multiple users we cannot have reports with different users/roles, Also its impractical to create so many warehouses per user/role.

Hi @saifuddinshaikh 

So you are saying that you want to use the same Power BI snowflake DB and then you can apply different roles to view the corresponding data?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @saifuddinshaikh 

So you are saying that you want to use the same Power BI snowflake DB and then you can apply different roles to view the corresponding data?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

saifuddinshaikh
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft 

correct. or may be different databases with different roles but same datawarehouse