Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Live connection to fabric not working

I have a lakehouse and a seperate warehouse set up with test data.
Online I can use the explorer to see the data and I can open the warehouse and see data. I can also use the sql endpoint of the lakehouse and see the data in SQL management studio.
But I can't see any data when I use the live connection in powerBI desktop to the datalake or the warehouse.
Question is why can't I see any data?
Also when online, if I go to the default created sematic model and select explore this data (preview), the data part keeps on loading but no data is shown. See screenshots.
(Online, If I create a new semantic model, I can add the data and build a report on it. But I cannot download this semanticmodel and open it in powerBI desktop.)

Logged in correctly and have admin access. Tried with a second account. Same issue. 
(We do still have P1 as a licence?)

IF I pulblish an empty report with the lakehouse connection set up and then open the report I get this error message:
Underlying Error: Capacity operation failed with error code CannotRetrieveModelException
Activity ID: 299a2503-4c89-48d1-9197-91b15d6a7bda
Correlation ID: c99af012-b3cf-c07e-f764-1be58ca2cfbe
Request ID: a595db85-f5d3-87f7-f9b2-42190a5e7128
Time: Fri Mar 01 2024 10:30:51 GMT+0100 (Midden-Europese standaardtijd)

Service version: 13.0.22729.77
Client version: 2402.3.18145-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-europe-d-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/ 
fabric3.pngfabric2.pngfabric1.png

Hi all 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @jeroen_guns 

Please verify the connection strings and settings used in Power BI Desktop for establishing the live connection. A minor discrepancy in the configuration could lead to connectivity issues.

Best Regards,

jeroen_guns
Frequent Visitor

The issue doesn't seem to be a connection issue.
I can connect to any other semanticmodel in the same workspace if I choose get data: powerBI semantic model
Also, If I first create a new semantic model from within the lakehouse and then connect to it from powerBI desktop this works.
If I create a fabric datawarehouse and add data to the default semantic model (manage default sematic model) I can connect to this model with powerBI desktop and see the data.
But if I want to explore the default lakehouse sematic model the data does not load. I've added more data to try to enforce an update to the default model but I still can't see any data. Not online in fabric itself as well as in powerBI desktop. 

Vogels
Frequent Visitor

@jeroen_guns was this ever solved? We are facing the same issue. 

jeroen_guns
Frequent Visitor

Afraid not.
Only workaround we have is to create a new semantic model and not use the default lakehouse model. This new one doesn't autoamtically update though when new data is added to the lakehouse table (parquet files). So needs to be opened, edited and reloaded. 
Basically we are just using the warehouse for data and lakehouse for files at the moment. A gen 2 dataflow to take the parquet data from the lake house and dump it in the warehouse.
Kindof like an external table select from azure synapse on a datalake container file.

ajzedao

Similar issue.

Power BI Desktop is up to date as of February 2024.

Created simple lakehouse and populated a table using python from notebook. 

Table exists. Can't use SQL Endpoint or simple load of the lakehouse to view data. Exact same as the screenshots above. Seems to be a common occurrence based on forums I have explored.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @jeroen_guns 

Power BI Desktop has been updated to March version , please update the Desktop version and try again.

Best Regards,

nmhung49
Helper II

@jeroen_guns You try to this case

nmhung49_0-1711697699787.png

jeroen_guns
Frequent Visitor

No change. Its not a PBI desktop issue as online the default lakehouse dataset also does not show any data.
No_data_default_lakehouse.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi all 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

nmhung49
Helper II

@jeroen_guns This case is online lake house dataset. You need to do step by step

nmhung49_0-1712039347529.png