Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Git Bug in Power BI: Cannot sync Workspace from feature branch due to Report Usage Metrics

We're starting to use Git in Power BI and are following best practices to create a new Workspace for development. When I connect that Workspace to a feature branch based on Main and I want to sync the Workspace, I get the following error which prevents me from updating the Workspace further. That means Git is basically unusable in Power BI if one ever commits Report Usage Metrics (why is that being committed anyways?)

We weren't able to update the following item

Please check the technical details for more information. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Report Usage Metrics Model
Hide details

Cluster URI https://wabi-germany-west-central-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Request ID 333ca8a4-e429-dd81-956f-3dd9c0aa84e4

Workload Error Code CopyOverwriteUsageException

Time Thu Jun 15 2023 09:13:56 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)

Hi @MaxPelz ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @MaxPelz ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

MaxPelz
Regular Visitor

Hey @v-xiaoyan-msft,

Thanks for your reply! Adding a .gitignore to ignore Report Usage Metrics subfolders seems to be the solution here.

Now, based on your suggestion I upgraded my trial to a PPU license today. However, I cannot access support. Your link (and the Get help in Power BI) leads to https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/en-US/support where I'm always asked to sign in and if I do, I get back to Power BI home. An infinite loop 😞

Best,

Max

martindop

what exactly did you put in the command line of gitignore file? 
@MaxPelz 

any updates so far? 

MaxPelz
Regular Visitor
# Ignore Usage Metric Models / Reports by ignoring the corresponding subfolders
/Report Usage Metrics.Dataset/
/Report Usage Metrics.Report/

That's what I added @martindop , but I didn't test it. I realized this week that this doesn't work. So I'll need to look into it more. Not so urgent for me right now though. If you're able to figure it out before, please share!

martindop

Thank you for a quick response! 

I've posted a ticket to the microsoft support, will try to keep you updated. 

martindop

@MaxPelz 
the issue is now solved, there has been a bug but it seems to work now