Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

File contains corrupted data.. An error occurred while reading a compressed file.

Getting the following when trying to open a PBIX file that has previously worked with no issues. Myself and multiple others have tried to open all getting the same message back. None of the data is in a compressed file and other PBIX's are using the same source data and working fine.

Feedback Type: Frown (Error)

Error Message: File contains corrupted data.. An error occurred while reading a compressed file.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ICurrentFileManager currentFileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, CommandLine commandLine, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_1.<Main>b__4()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
File contains corrupted data.. An error occurred while reading a compressed file.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.114.803.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException - PFE_MANAGED_ZIPLOAD_UNEXPECTED","MethodDef":"HandleError - PFE_MANAGED_ZIPLOAD_UNEXPECTED","ErrorOffset":"201"}

PowerBINonFatalError_ErrorDescription:
PFE_MANAGED_ZIPLOAD_UNEXPECTED

PowerBINonFatalError_MethodDefDescription:
PFE_MANAGED_ZIPLOAD_UNEXPECTED

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

Glad that your issue has been solved, now this thread will be closed.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue😭😭

emilybeale

Had a brainwave on this one which has fixed our issue!

If you have published to the online verison, access the dataset through the online portal in your workspace and resave the dataset from there over the corrupted version.

Steps:

1.Open file destination workspace online

2.Click on dataset - as shown below (I've blanked our our information)

PBI Dataset.png

3.When the below page opens click "File" then "Download this file" as shown below and save over the corrupted version.

PBI 2.PNG

emilybeale_0-1677238834463.png

Worked perfectly for us and can acess on desktop app now!

Hope this helps you too!

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Glad that your issue has been solved, now this thread will be closed.

hamachekm
Helper I

I have had this same "File contains corrupted data" issue happen twice in the past two weeks.  I have been working with the same type of .pbix model for about 2 years now, so something systemically has changed.

@v-xiaoyan-msft , The proposed solution here from emilybeale works in some cases, but is not a long term solution and it doesn't work if you don't publish.  This "File contains corrupted data" will pop up again (based on seeing three different people here all post the same issue). 

Looking for some guidance on what I can do to restore the corrupted file that I have not published. Also looking for help on how to avoid this issue in the future. 

hamachekm
Helper I

@v-xiaoyan-msft  - given this thread is closed, do you recommend I reopen with a new thread?

hamachekm
Helper I

I am auto-updating .pbix, so here is the current version I am on: 

hamachekm_0-1709760692318.png