Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

External users Power BI report access issue - Power BI was unable to read the application metadata

Hello, I'm encountering the following issue with external user access to our reports generated in Microsoft Power BI. The scenario is as follows: I've two workspaces in Power BI. One was created approximately two years ago, and the other was created just a couple of months ago. Each workspace is dedicated to a different audience. Each external user has been created in Azure AD and is associated with an Azure AD security group. The reports within the first workspace (created a while ago) are functioning correctly for their users. However, the reports within the more recent workspace are returning an error and cannot be viewed.

The security groups have read access to their respective workspaces. Any ideas?? I'd appreciate your help.

Below you will find the current scenario and the error the users are getting:

Current Scenario:

Current SetupCurrent Setup

Power BI Access Error:

powerBIerror.png

Hi @anazzar ,

This is usually a temporary error, is the problem still present two days after your post?

If you’re using Chrome, try disabling the flag for out of blink CORS.
Check Azure AD Settings: Ensure that the “Invite external users to your organization” setting is enabled in the Power BI admin portal. Also, confirm that any user who needs to invite guests has the Guest Inviter role assigned.Confirm that “allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization” is enabled and applied for those users.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @anazzar ,

This is usually a temporary error, is the problem still present two days after your post?

If you’re using Chrome, try disabling the flag for out of blink CORS.
Check Azure AD Settings: Ensure that the “Invite external users to your organization” setting is enabled in the Power BI admin portal. Also, confirm that any user who needs to invite guests has the Guest Inviter role assigned.Confirm that “allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization” is enabled and applied for those users.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

anazzar

Hi Caitlyn,

Thanks for your reply. I 've checked the Power BI settings as well as the Azure AD settings you mentioned, and everything is ok.

I found a workaround during the weekend, but I can't do this because the audiences can't share information.

If I change the AD secutiry group for the Workspace 2 users, and add them the security group intended for Worskpace 1, it works! Actually, I can take then remove the security group and leave the right one and keeps working.

But, in the practice I cannot do this. The audience 2 cannot have the audience 1 security group because we can't afford to share sensitive information, eventough it's momentarily.