Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

External Component Has Thrown An Exception: April 2023 Update

After updating to April 2023 version, my PowerBI desktop keeps crashing for various reasons. It is basically unusable at this point with the frequency of crashes. The most frequent point at which it crashes is when I am using Power Query with the External Component error described in the title. Here is a full detail copy of the most recent error:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-04-18T21:08:23.2515326Z

Local Time:
2023-04-18T14:08:23.2515326-07:00

Session ID:
1b649699-64df-42d5-94fb-4faab8a61aa0

Release:
April 2023

Product Version:
2.116.622.0 (23.04) (x86)

Stack Trace:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c.<RunApplication>b__6_7()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<RunApplication>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Error Code:
-2147467259 (0x80004005)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.116.622.0","ModuleName":"PBIDesktop.exe","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program+<>c","Error":"System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException","MethodDef":"<RunApplication>b__6_7","ErrorOffset":"15"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19044.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
1.73 GB

Private Memory:
440 MB

Peak Working Set:
722 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
eb5027f6-ad9f-4029-bcf3-25635c8223cb

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for @TaylorClark's instant reply. Fix was developed and please reinstall the new version and try again.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
ryanap

I am having the same issue, pretty much unusable now.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is a known issue internally, please be patient for the fix. As a workaroud, you can temporarily use the Use the February Desktop Version, if there is any feedback, I will update here.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yanjiang-msft If that is the case could you give step by step instructions on how to roll back to the February 2023 version? I am unable to do my job until I have PowerBI in a usable state again.

Mike23
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue making it unuseable.  How do you revert back to previous month's update?  I have been unable to find this anywhere.

Mike23
Regular Visitor

I was able to find a link (below) to download Feb. 2023 Power BI.  I un-installed the current power bi and hten re-installed the Feb. 2023 version and so far this has resolved the issue and made it useable.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

TaylorClark
Power BI Team

@Anonymous @Mike23 @ryanap We have just released a new build that should mitigate the issue. 

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Version 2.116.843.0

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for @TaylorClark's instant reply. Fix was developed and please reinstall the new version and try again.

Best regards,