Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error in SQL server SSL Certificate Connection Since February '24 Release

Since the Power BI Feb 2024 release, all of the reports in our workspaces have had this SSL error: "The server name provided does not match the server name on the SQL Server SSL certificate ... " Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden this error showed up across our workspaces

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.37.14 AM.png

Some notes and highlights:

• We use Azure sql databases
  • No credentials were changed before this error occured and none have changed since
    • I have double checked the credentials and the server names match both in the desktop and in the service
  • The error occurs both on desktop and in the service
  • We connect through a sql privatelink (servername.privatelink.database.windows.net) and use a VNET data gateway
    • That gateway has not changed
  • We tried disconnecting from the VNET data gateway and using an on-prem gateway, no luck connecting either
  • We can connect to our Azure sql dbs with any other method
    • directly in SSMS
    • through excel
    • In web apps we use

Any idea what could be going on?

Thank you!

Hi @Jlindsey00 

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it. 

The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
muso_Q
Frequent Visitor

I am still experiencing the same issue at @DVermeulen with the issue impacting Dataflows in the Fabric service.
Are there any updates on a solution or workaround yet?

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II

hi @Jlindsey00 

have you used the March 2024 release and does it fix the issue?

regards

Andrew

SuzyThys
Frequent Visitor

@andrew,

I'm using March 2024 release and the issue not yet fixed 😞

Regards

Suzy

pineapple

There is Apr 2024 release now but I still have the same issue. Anyone have it fixed?

rbrocks
Advocate IV

On another thread, I saw a suggestion to add an environment variable PBI_SQL_TRUSTED_SERVERS.

In my case, I have multiple servers with a similar start (we have -dev, -qa, etc appended on the server name for the different environments). So I included the common prefix and added the * as a like indicator so it would cover all of these servers. 

Variable Name: PBI_SQL_TRUSTED_SERVERS

Value: myservername*

I am not sure if it needs to be a system variable or just a user level. I put it in both places. Someone else in my company just came to me with this issue and that solved it for them as well. 

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II

Hi @rbrocks 

where exactly did you create this environment variable? On each PC running PowerBI client, or somewhere else?

thanks

Andrew

rbrocks
Advocate IV

@UOLandrewdale yes, each PC running PBI desktop would need to have this setup I presume. 

Jlindsey00
Regular Visitor

@rbrocks @UOLandrewdale We installed that environmental variable on the machine running the gateway, which was different than the machine that PBI desktop is installed on. We have had no issues in the service since, although the Apr 2024 desktop still will not refresh so we're using Dec 2023.

UOLandrewdale
Advocate II
Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV

We were able to fix this back in December by:

1) Adding the server names to the system environment variables on the machines running Power BI Desktop.

2) Adding the servers to the SQLTrustedServers entry in the gateway config file. 

All of the details are in the documentation.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sql-server

Joshrodgers123_0-1713367178410.png