Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DAX Function 'PLACEHOLDER' Error

I previously had working Power BI content that executed without error.  After upgrade to the December 2018 version, I am now receiving the error: "Function 'PLACEHOLDER' encountered a Text that exceeds the maximum allowable length." for a number of Column values that utilize MAXX and MINX functions on a FILTERED RELATED table.  I cannot find any references that clearly identifies what raises this error.  Can anyone please provide any insight on how to correct these errors?

The following is an example DAX statement that raises the error:

AttachChk_Consent RHIO = IF(

'Patient Chart'[Chart Status] = "Admitted",

IF(

MAXX( FILTER( RELATEDTABLE('_Chart Attachments by User'),'_Chart Attachments by User'[AttachKeyValue] = 'Patient Chart'[Chart Number] & "/RHIO Consent"),'_Chart Attachments by User'[AttachDateTime]) = 0,

0),

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DPlankenhorn,

Please replace the comma "," as ")", then test it again: 

AttachChk_Consent RHIO =
IF (
    'Patient Chart'[Chart Status] = "Admitted",
    IF (
        MAXX (
            FILTER (
                RELATEDTABLE ( '_Chart Attachments by User' ),
                '_Chart Attachments by User'[AttachKeyValue]
                    = 'Patient Chart'[Chart Number] & "/RHIO Consent"
            ),
            '_Chart Attachments by User'[AttachDateTime]
        )
            = 0,
    )
)

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DPlankenhorn
Regular Visitor

Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for responding to my request for assistance.  I recognized that I was missing the last portion of my DAX statement in my original submission, but if I do make the change you suggested, I am missing the 3rd argument of the outermost IF statement.  If I add it back in, the original error condition does not reappear AND every other Column value in my PBIX file that was previously showing the 'PLACEHOLDER' error message is now showing as OK even though I did NOT make any changes to those fields.

To confirm this behavior, I exited without saving and restarted Power BI with the same PBIX file.  Once again the errors were indicated.  I edited this DAX statement and noted there was a trailing space after the last parenthesis.  I removed the space and saved the change.  The error disappeared AND, as before, the error condition disappeared from all other columns without making any other chages - even though these other DAX statements all had a trailing space after the last parenthesis.

Could there be some issue that was introduced in more recent updates to the DAX equation editor functionality that is causing this behavior?

"Revised" DAX Statement:Reformatted DAX Statement.jpg

DPlankenhorn
Regular Visitor

Qiuyun Yu,

I have performed some additional testing and determined the following:

(1) Every time I perform a data refresh, the "Function 'PLACEHOLDER' " error condition is regenerated affecting ALL DAX statements that utilize MAXX (or MINX) / FILTER / RELATEDTABLE constructs (see first image below).

(2) Any simple change (e.g., add a blank space after the last character and saving the change) in ANY of the DAX functions in the PBIX file, removes ALL the "Function 'PLACEHOLDER' " errors in the PBIX file (second image).

This definitely appears to be a bug that was introduced during a recent Power BI Desktop upgrade.  Please let me know if there are any other aspects that I can test.

Thanks!

After Data RefreshAfter Data RefreshAfter Update of a DAX FunctionAfter Update of a DAX Function

DPlankenhorn
Regular Visitor

Please note that I upgraded this morning to Power BI Version: 2.66.5376.1681 64-bit (February 2019).  The "Function 'PLACEHOLDER' error condition is no longer raised after a data refresh operation.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DPlankenhorn,

It seems the error is gone after updating the Power BI desktop to the latest version, right? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DPlankenhorn
Regular Visitor

Qiuyun Yu,

I thought this error had been resolved with the February release, BUT it did resurface yesterday and was demonstrated once again this morning with the same behavior - errors raised after a refresh operation.

Do I need to submit this in some other area for this error to be formally evaluated?  Please let me know.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DPlankenhorn ,

I would suggest you create a support ticket to let the engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu