Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: VNET Gateway Issue

Standard PowerBI Gateway has no issues refreshing a dataset but when using the VNET Gateway we recieve this error:

Microsoft SQL: The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).\r\nThe size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000)

Hi all,

The deployment should be all completed now.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
DhananjayN
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft ,

Thanks for this update.

We still get this error though. Is there any update on the deployment?

Thanks

DhananjayN

DhananjayN
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft 

Do we have any update on this issue? This isimpacting our Production application. Hence following up.

Thanks

Dhananjay

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @chriscooper71 , @DhananjayN ,

QFE train has successfully been rolled out to all regions today, please try again.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

DhananjayN
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft 

Thank you for the update and quick turn around on this one. I refreshed one of our impacted datasets using the V-NET, and it works fine now. I will check for the other datasets as well and update in case I see any issue.

Thank You!!

DhananjayN

Miss
Frequent Visitor

I have started to see this issue since last night (5th May),  my datasets contect to an Azure Serverless sql database. Some of the reports do not use a gateway (as it is not required for this type of data source) yet are seeing this error message, its also not consistent as to which table it fails on.

When i refresh the report in the desktop app I am not seeing an issue

Please advice how I can get my reports to refresh again

chavanr
Resolver I

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft We are experiencing similar issue since 06/05/2023, my datasets connected to Azure serverless sql database. we do not use Gateway for the same.

The report refresh works alright in desktop.

Please advise.

The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000). The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000). The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000). The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).. ErrorCode = -2146232060. Number = 131. Class = 16. </ccon>

chavanr
Resolver I

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft Can you please advise since this one is affecting our Production reports.

Mixednuts
Helper II

We are also experiecing the same error as @chavanr under a similar scenario. The errors began late Friday (UTC+8) and continues today.

We use the dynamicss 365 synapse connector to replicate to a serverless SQL database and access this from Power BI. Power BI is reporting this error in both Import and Direct Query mode.

chavanr
Resolver I

@Mixednuts Please raise a ticket with MS support because my ticket is now sitting with the Product team.

More tickets raised with similar issue will help us get a quick fix from MS Product team.

Mixednuts
Helper II

@chavanr Done. Thanks