Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Migasuke

Single Tooltip page for different measures & different visuals

Problem description

As described in the teaser above - working with too many page tooltips can result in very high number of pages in your report. In general this is something you want to avoid. Unfortunately, there is no direct function how to work with only a single tooltip page. Luckily, after introducing field parameters there is a way - let's take a look.

First, I will describe you my very simple report:

Migasuke_0-1727733284146.png

As you can see I have 6 different Card visuals. 3 on top (red section) and 3 on the bottom (blue section). Each visual contains a tooltip, which is a detailed distribution by countries.

Simple example for the revenue can be seen here:

Migasuke_1-1727733416951.png

To achieve this, I need to create a new page, mark it as a tooltip page and add related visualization:

Migasuke_2-1727733521903.png

So far so good, right? Problem is - that I need re-apply the same steps for other two card visuals. So I would end up with those pages:

Migasuke_4-1727733715258.png

Now you can imagine that my report is huge and instead of 3 different tooltips I need 30. Then it's not very conveniet jumping from one page to another. So what is the solution?

Solution description

1. We create field parameters with desired measures.

Migasuke_5-1727733879877.png

In my case I have only 3 measures:

Migasuke_7-1727733993293.png

I recommend you to uncheck the "add slicer to the page" since we won't need it.

2. We create a tooltip page (I call it T-all), the same way as before:

Migasuke_8-1727734088026.png

3. We add the desired visual, which will represent our tooltip. In my case it's column chart. But now the trick happens - instead of adding created measures on it's own, we will use our field parameters. This will bring all of our measures in the single visual.
(note: PBI can't handle huge number of measures in one visual, depends on which chart you use - you might find a different limits).

Migasuke_9-1727734362950.png

4. Once we are done with a tooltip page, we go back to our report and enable tooltip page on a visual:

Migasuke_10-1727734458627.png

5. Add field parameter as visual level filter.
This will enforce the tooltip to display only the desired measure and not the others:

Migasuke_12-1727734697392.png

Now let's check our result - as we see bellow our chart displays only Total Gross Profit.

Migasuke_13-1727734746972.png

If I apply the same logic for other cards I will achieve the same results.

Comments

This is so helpful, Thank you

This is very helpful. But is there a way to do this when the user hovers over the help icon and the correct data appears in the tooltip?

Your idea here is excellent but it seems that you have to pick from the drop down to show the data that you want from the tooltip.  

Any suggestions?

@StevenT He is asking to filter on each card based on what it is like "Total cost" You don't have to drag and drop anything. Once you add the filter and you hover over the card it give the correct tooltop

It does seem like it would be impossible to do what I wrote...my goal was to let the user hover over the ? and see the top 10 of 7 different metrics.

It appears that without the ability to capture the metric the user is hovering over, it would not be possible to build a "one tooltip for all" page.

I tried his ideas here but without BI knowing what metric you're on, it seems impossible to do what I had hoped.

Hello @StevenT ,

I probably don't fully understand your requirement. Please feel free to ping in private message with some example and we can take a look.

Have a nice evening!