Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MP-iCONN
Resolver I
Resolver I

Unable to find the WebView2 runtime when refreshing a dataset - Service Only

Recently I have been getting an error for one of my reports datasets that extracts Web.BrowserContents from an online table.  This previously was working fine for the last 2 or 3 months.  Refreshing from Power BI Desktop is fine and this only errors out when refreshing from Service.

This is my source:

= Web.BrowserContents("https://www.xe.com/currencytables/?from=USD")

This is the full error:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"We were unable to find the WebView2 runtime. You can manually download the runtime installer here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=2124703"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: EuroConversion.
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 29cacc5e-4b04-484b-b728-2b49ca5c88f2
Request ID: 32b4aca3-0c60-40ce-c87b-21ac0ec836f4
Time: 2023-06-01 14:49:24Z

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
studyri10
Frequent Visitor

I get the same error message here, did this solve? Thank you!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MP-iCONN 

It looks like you need to download and install the WebView 2 on your Power BI gateway server.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQthank you for the advice.  I did try that just now but still get the same error. 

Hi @MP-iCONN 

That is rather unusual, could you see if the Power BI Gateway Service is running under the local system account?

Power BI Blog

Hi,

we had the same issue.

We installed the Webview2 runtime after the last gateway update (may 2023) from this link: WebView2 - Microsoft Edge Developer

The runtime was installed into the appdata folder of the user and was not available for all users of the server or for the gateway service user.

We had to run the installation "as administrator" - then it was not installed into the appdata folder. Now it works.

This resolved our issues. Thank you for posting. 

I tried that, after first installing the old webview2 runtime and installing the newer version.  Then rebooted but now I get a new error "We timed out waiting for initialization of the web browser"

Hi @MP-iCONN What happens if you install the new Edge Browser does it then work?

Power BI Blog

I tried that as well with no luck.  

I have this running under a domain admin account, not a local system account.

Hi @MP-iCONN 

Can you confirm that the Domain account has got admin permissions on the server?

Or alternatively try change the account to a local system acccount and see if the refresh works. If it does work that then means it is a permissions issue on the Gateway server.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors