Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MattB-Motive
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing with external users - Ad hoc per item method not working

Hi everyone

Looking to share a report with an external user using the 'Ad hoc per item sharing' method as described here: Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Azure Active Directory B2B

I'm using a Global Admin account with the Power BI tenant & Azure AD settings configured (as far as I can tell - see below images) but I'm unable to initiate the sharing process.

What am I missing?

Unable to share with external user 1.pngUnable to share with external user - Power BI Admin.png

Unable to share with external user - Azure AD.png

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MattB-Motive 

That is how I have done it in the past to ensure that the user's account is available to be used in report sharing, apps and RLS.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MattB-Motive 

Can you make sure that your external users are Guest accounts in your AAD?

Once they are you should be able to put in their email address as shown below with my example when sharing

GilbertQ_0-1684807791756.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ.

Is my understanding wrong that external users (that aren't already added as guests in AAD) can be invited as guests by sharing a report with them? I.e. The Ad hoc sharing method described here: Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Azure Active Directory B2B - Power BI | Mi...

whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi_01.png

Can you only share with external by using the 'Planned per item sharing' method? (Planned = Adding guests to AAD first and then sharing the report)

whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi_02.png

MattB-Motive
Helper I
Helper I

@collinq@ibarrau@GilbertQ - Do you have any clue why I can't share directly from a report?

User who is sharing is a global admin (even though AAD invite permissions are delegated to all users), M365 Admin settings allow new guests, Power BI tenant settings allow invites....although I found this message that could be causing the issue:
2023-05-22_18-55-42.png

Am I missing something obvious?

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @MattB-Motive 

If you want to share it with users outside the organization, you can try this method:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti 

Thanks for your reply. However, it doesn't quite answer my question. The link you provided outlines the ad hoc method that I am trying to (unsuccessfully) use.

You are correct about the licensing, but I am unable to share a report directly with an external user (someone who hasn't already been added as a guest in AAD) as detailed in your link: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors