Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurie_oa
Frequent Visitor

Report sharing: Email addresses could not be validated, Server Error 500

Hi All,

Two users in my org are unable to share PowerBI reports using the normal "Manage Access" style panel.

Entering any email address or name (internal or external) spins for 1-2 minutes then results in the following:

laurie_oa_0-1629784958294.png

This is across all reports, old or newly generated.

Diving deeper I can see that while this is happening the service is constantly getting internal server error 500 from the microsoft service in my region:

laurie_oa_2-1629785067929.png

There's nothing unusual about these two users other than the fact that they're our two heaviest powerBI users. No security groups pertaining to PowerBI or any changes to their profile,  just an out of the blue error 500 just over a week ago.

I've had mindtree support assisting but no luck so far.

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
wenchi
Helper I
Helper I

we had a similar issue occurred yesterday. one user trying to share the report to other co-worker and get an message said "one or more email address counot not be validated" even thought it's a valid email addree. The user is using Chrome. When she switch to Edge, no problem at all. Try Chrome again, same error occurred.

I have other users to test both in Chrom, not issue found and i can't replicate the issue with my login either in Chrome.

Any ideas?

Wenchi Wang

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laurie_oa 

Has your problem been solved ? If it has been solved, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laurie_oa 

Do you give them permission to share the report with others ?

Ailsamsft_0-1630047748174.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laurie_oa 

I have a question, can these two users be added to the shared list normally before ? Or is this a new user ?

If the users are new ,you need to sync them in Azure Active Directory .Detail options can refer to the link below .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/add-users-azure-active-director...

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Ailsa,

The users are existing and have been sharing reports successfully for more than a year now. They are hybrid users, but our Azure AD connect tool is working as intended.

Sharing to these users is not an issue, I'm able to share my reports to them, it's having them share reports with others that is the issue.

Cheers.

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

I have ran into this, for Active Directory groups.  

Our problem was syncing, we would create the AD Group on prem, but forgot to sync it to the cloud.  If it isnt synced to the cloud, the PowerBI Service doesnt know it exists.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying,

We thought that this was the issue too, but there are no access groups involved and our Azure AD Connect sync tool is working as per usual.

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors