Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sonocapace
Frequent Visitor

Unable to create Group Workspaces

I am unable to create a new group workspace. I get the error below:

Something went wrong.
Couldn't create the group
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID7148371d-cb2d-44ae-bbd3-ff2dcbf870f3
Request ID3eed7dd0-3b14-f9b1-c96f-c441ac2dd866
Correlation ID76994d5c-5e5a-4c3a-77ae-cea248fef03e
Status code500
TimeFri Sep 16 2016 13:44:29 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1605.489
Cluster URIhttps://df-msit-scus.analysis.windows.net

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sonocapace Yes. Pro is a requirement for creating a group workspace.

edit: Here is the licensing page. Should clear up some of the questions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@sonocapace Is this your first Group Workspace, do you have a Pro license? 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi,

Yes this is my first Group Workspace. I don't think I do have pro. I'm checking MS's internal Products Web now. Is Pro required to create Group Workspaces?

Thanks,

Stella

@sonocapace Yes. Pro is a requirement for creating a group workspace.

edit: Here is the licensing page. Should clear up some of the questions.

Thanks! 🙂

Hi,

Turns out this is not solved after all. Apologies if I should have created a new thread. Turns out that I AM using Pro PowerBI (had to search around in order to determine where to confirm that) but I get the error below when attempting to create a Group Workspace. In addition, my colleague who successfully created a large Group Workspace in the last month is now receiving a similar error when attempting to create a new Group Workspace.

PowerBI Pro.png

Error:

Something went wrong.

Couldn't create the group
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID069de8ac-f59d-467e-9402-9c3288383fe0
Request ID5fa7d880-0fb2-43a0-fbf1-9e10620a9f0b
Correlation ID126bf97a-807e-191a-d140-79d8818fc0f2
Status code500
TimeMon Sep 19 2016 08:34:11 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1605.551
Cluster URIhttps://df-msit-scus.analysis.windows.net

@sonocapace First... I would love to know how you increased the size of your workspace to 20GB...?

Second, did something change in your Office 365 licensing? In order for Groups to work you need an O365 Exchange license (I think this is part of the E3, or also seperate). In addition, have you tried creating a Group in your Office 365 space? It should be visible whether it's created in PBI or O365.

I'm not sure how I got 20GB. I haven't done anything (knowingly) to make that happen. 🙂

FYI I did a bit more searching on the forum and found the post shown below which states that MS Vendors are no longer able to create Group Workspaces. I'm trying to validate that information but it would at least explain the problems recently encountered by myself and my colleague.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/not-able-create-work-space/m-p/68681/highlight/true#M2241

Re: not able create work space
@v-romadi,
Groups are only available with Power BI Pro. Now vendors are not able to create workspace, only Microsoft engineers can do it. This change has been implemented for a while. So please check if your Power BI account satisfies.
Regards,
Sam

@sonocapace Ah, well, that would explain things. This is an open public forum, so Microsoft employee or vendors associated with MS most likely have different access/restrictions. (Thus the 20GB limit).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.