Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DistinctCount IF?

Hi All,

I'm new to Power BI (and DAX) coming from Tableau.

I've got a question regarding the DiscountCount function.

I need to calculate a percentage of orders that include a certain item. The way my data is structured is line items on every order for the last year. (Example: If one order has three items on it, three lines are returned for that order each line with a specific item).

I'd like to create a measure that give me the sum of a distinct count of order numbers but only if they include a certain item number. I can't use the filter function because I'd need to compare the afore mentioned measure to a count of all distinct orders.

This seems like something that should be very doable, I'm just can't wrap my head around it yet.

Thanks!

PS - Does anyone have any good resources (perferably books) that can get me into the swing of using DAX and Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT( FactOrder[OrderNumber] )
    ,FactOrder[Line Item] = <certein item number>
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT( FactOrder[OrderNumber] )
    ,FactOrder[Line Item] = <certein item number>
)

@greggyb  @KHorseman  I am trying to use your formula, but i am not sure where I am doing a mistake 

want to calculate distinct job number on gloss pack option or body colour option 

gp201641_0-1663832549810.png

Here is the error 

gp201641_1-1663832627437.png

@greggyb  Can you please tell me where i am doing wrong, I tried to use your formula 

gp201641_0-1663832381534.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

If you want to understand the reason behind that answer, check this out: http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2009/12/powerpivot-dax-calculate-is-a-supercharged-sumif/

Actually the title of that blog post is slightly misleading; CALCULATE is a supercharged WHATEVERIF. COUNTIF, SUMIF, DIVIDEIF, etc. depending on what kind of expression you feed into it. That whole blog is a fantastic resource for learning DAX, and they've got a great book as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for the resource, I really appreciate it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.