Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DistinctCount IF?

Hi All,

I'm new to Power BI (and DAX) coming from Tableau.

I've got a question regarding the DiscountCount function.

I need to calculate a percentage of orders that include a certain item. The way my data is structured is line items on every order for the last year. (Example: If one order has three items on it, three lines are returned for that order each line with a specific item).

I'd like to create a measure that give me the sum of a distinct count of order numbers but only if they include a certain item number. I can't use the filter function because I'd need to compare the afore mentioned measure to a count of all distinct orders.

This seems like something that should be very doable, I'm just can't wrap my head around it yet.

Thanks!

PS - Does anyone have any good resources (perferably books) that can get me into the swing of using DAX and Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT( FactOrder[OrderNumber] )
    ,FactOrder[Line Item] = <certein item number>
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT( FactOrder[OrderNumber] )
    ,FactOrder[Line Item] = <certein item number>
)

@greggyb  @KHorseman  I am trying to use your formula, but i am not sure where I am doing a mistake 

want to calculate distinct job number on gloss pack option or body colour option 

gp201641_0-1663832549810.png

Here is the error 

gp201641_1-1663832627437.png

@greggyb  Can you please tell me where i am doing wrong, I tried to use your formula 

gp201641_0-1663832381534.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

If you want to understand the reason behind that answer, check this out: http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2009/12/powerpivot-dax-calculate-is-a-supercharged-sumif/

Actually the title of that blog post is slightly misleading; CALCULATE is a supercharged WHATEVERIF. COUNTIF, SUMIF, DIVIDEIF, etc. depending on what kind of expression you feed into it. That whole blog is a fantastic resource for learning DAX, and they've got a great book as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for the resource, I really appreciate it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.