Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adrianhfong
Frequent Visitor

Users with app permission can not see content in app unless they are given workspace permssion

Hello! This happened as of this morning - Users that have access to our Power App are able to access the app, but data does not load (all visualizations have an X on them). Once we give those same users access to our workspace, then the content loads. Is this occurring for anyone else? Please advise! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like there may have been a new push from msft. When you update the your workspace report, it gives you a warning about dataset permissions. 

Our short term solution for this is to create a new microsoft group and provide our users 'viewer' access to the report and access to the app. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Badger43
Frequent Visitor

This seems an old thread, but I have just encountered this issue whilst including a PowerApp visual on my report.

Is there any guidlines on how permissions should correctly be set? 

Unless workspace permission is given my Powerapp visual will not show in my Power BI report, despite users having correct access assigned throughout.

sfbind2
Frequent Visitor

@adrianhfong @v-xiaosun-msft Yes! There is some sort of glitch happening and none of the previous replies apply or fix our situation. We have been creating content and publishing to premium workspaces as an app and this problem JUST STARTED. Even more frustrating, when I test permissions for a particular user, the service is showing they have access (we use RLS for all reports), but they in fact, don't have access!! This is extremelky frustrating and only seems to affect new reports I have published in the last 1-2 weeks. The only way to fix is to go to the datasource -> manage permissions and assign the access here. What's really dumb is that the app automatically shows that the audience does have datasource access so this makes 0 sense. I really hope this is something being worked on by Microsoft...

Thank you @sfbind2. I think the other responses below somewhat dismiss this post as a non-issue. But, this only started happening yesterday - the same users who previously had access to the app and reports with no problem no longer have it.

I truly believe this is an issue / glitch that needs to be remediated. 

I think it has to do with the recent update to the app space that allows you to add a New Audience. Something got goofed with inherited permissions when this change was made and I do not want to have to keep assigning groups to each new dataset so they can view a report! Really hoping to get a response soon on this.

Looks like there may have been a new push from msft. When you update the your workspace report, it gives you a warning about dataset permissions. 

Our short term solution for this is to create a new microsoft group and provide our users 'viewer' access to the report and access to the app. 

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adrianhfong ,

Having access to an app doesn’t mean that you have access to the content inside the app.

If the workspace for it is not in a Power BI Premium capacity, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User(PPU) licenses to view your app.

If the workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity, users without Pro or PPU licenses can view app content but cannot copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets.

For the content of the app, such as reports or dashboards, also have their access permission.

When a user is not one of the roles in the workspace and does not have access to the report, the report cannot be viewed, and therefore the report content under the app cannot be seen.

Please refer to the following documents.

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Power Apps doesn't automatically grant rights to Power BI. Also, instead of giving rights to the the full workspace you could also give them rights to individual reports/dashboards.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @adrianhfong 

A user with a Power App license doesn't mean that he has access to the underline data of the visuals in the App. That's why when you added those users to the workspace they could see the loaded data.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors