Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mbahonen
Helper II
Helper II

Row Level Security (RLS) when users also need to be Admin or Members in a workspace alternatives?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround or better solution to the problem of users who have permissions above Viewer level in a workspace overriding the RLS functionality in either a workspace or an app workspace?

I have users who are developers and/or admins for our workspaces and ideally need to stay so (even if its just me for example), but I also need them to have a report prefiltered to show only the details that pertain them them as a user/consumer of the report. I'm less concerned with the security aspect of the report, though RLS works perfectly for what I need as long as the user is not above Viewer. I'm actually surprised this has not been addressed yet by microsoft either in the Desktop options (like a feature to turn off/on like with exporting) or something you can set up in the app workspace (when users access the report in the workspace they see it all but when in the app workspaces they see RLS applied), but at this point I'll take any possible suggestion for an alternate hack!  Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mbahonen 

As far as I understand if the users are an Admin or Member Role in another or different app workspace than where the dataset is, then the RLS should still work and be applied?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Unfortunately that did not work. I believe the report even when loaded to another workspace (and when the dataset is in a different workspace) still carries the permissions of the dataset from the original location, therefore in Workspace A (dataset) some users must retain Admin or Member access and even thought in Workspace B (report) they only have permission via the app workspace audience, the RLS is still overridden by the Workspace A permissions they have. 

Was worth a try though, thanks!

I will give that a try! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors