Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarioLenz
Frequent Visitor

Power BI metrics refresh but not updating values (only if manual initiated for every metric)

Hello,
I (Power BI Pro license) am experimenting with Metrics in PowerBI for few weeks now.

Setup: A source dataset in same working space is refreshed every day. The data is pulled by this metric (connected start value, end value manual, also per automated daily refresh). Also manual "Update dataset (preview)" ist not helping here.

MarioLenz_1-1678875585134.png

There is no refresh error or sth displayed, yet (ISSUE) the metric values are not updated and can only be refreshed by using the "connection" - "refresh" for every metric to initiate a manual refresh for every metric,

MarioLenz_2-1678875653090.png(this is the date I updated it manually last time)

I don't know what is refreshing to be honest but I think it is quite not what one is expecting.
I was also looking for hints here/in the forum (e.g. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Metrics-not-updating-for-external-users/m-p/2790652#M174052) but so far nothing really seemed to be similiar.

Thank you for your help,
Mario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarioLenz ,

This issue had been resolved. Please try again.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarioLenz ,

This issue had been resolved. Please try again.

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Neve12ende12
Frequent Visitor

Just an update. My metrics are still not auto updating and I am still having to manually refresh them.

unfortunately same here

Hello,
yesterday, it did work.
Today, I notcied that the data actually seemed to be pushed from the underlying dashboard and not waiting for the scheduled refresh. The scheduled refresh however did not work/update the values.

In the moment, I am quite confused: I haven't expected what I would call a push function (I don't know if this is how it should work) and the expected way (via scheduled refresh) is not working (yet?).

I will wait the next days (and planned refreshes) to get a clearer picture

looks like that all my scorecards were updated automatically today!

smolcykr
Frequent Visitor

Don't want to get too excited - but it appears my metrics updated this morning without me having to manually refresh them. Fingers crossed! 🤞

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarioLenz ,

This is a known issue. We have reported the issue and submitted it to the internal icm platform. Engineers will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update you here if there is any progress , please be patient.

As a workaround, you could manually refresh your metrics:

Manually refreshing a single metric:

1. Edit the scorecard.
2. Click on any metric to open the metric details pane.

3. On the metric details pane, go to the Connection tab.

4. Click refresh.

You could also refresh all metrics with script, please refer this blog: Power BI Metrics Pro Tip: Refresh all metrics scri... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best regards,

Hell,
thanks for confirming that this is a real bug and a solution is in progress.
So far, I am hesitant to "accept as solution" as this is also a workaround I mentioned in my initial statement and not helping that much.
I am looking forward for the fix and hope it won't take that long.
Thank you for all your inputs

Neve12ende12
Frequent Visitor

I am also experiencing the same problem. Does Microsoft have any official communication about when this should be fixed?

smolcykr
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue - any updates from PBI Support on this?
I'm losing the confidence of my users that this is feasible functionality
I have to edit each and every one of my metrics and refresh from the Connections tab of the Details screen

refresh.PNG

One thing that I've tested and works is that if you force a refresh manually, the Metrics will update the values. Thus, we have to force all of our reports manually that are feeding the Scorecards, at least once a day (better than forcing a refresh card by card).

Hello,
unfortunately, this did not work for me either as described - manual card by card refresh is the only thing that works. Let's see if we see this fix @thizguy mentioned by end of this week

JOAOLBMARTINS
Helper II
Helper II

Dear all,

The same issue is happening here on my Scorecards, have you been able to solve the issue already?

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,

João Martins

I was told by Support that this is a known issue on their end, and that a fix is being deployed this week. Stay tuned! 

thizguy
Frequent Visitor

I have been experiencing the exact issue with Metrics, for several weeks now.

Previously I was able to use the Power BI REST API to refresh the Metrics: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/goals_(preview)/refresh-goal-current-value#code-... this worked for about 2 weeks, and as of about 3 weeks ago that also stopped working. The API would accept the calls but the Metrics just keep posting an old value, so the trend is just a flat line over time, as opposed to actual data.

I just raised a ticket on this yesterday. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors