Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rode
Advocate II
Advocate II

Personal gateway issue on data update

Hi everyone!

I have published a report on the cloud using a Power Bi Pro license. Data come from a SQL Server database, which is running locally on my computer. There are no problems when I publish the report using Power BI Dekstop.

But there is an issue that comes up when I try to update the dataset by clicking on the "Refresh Now" option on the cloud. The error message says that the data gateway is offline or couldn't be reached. But I'm sure that the both SQL Server and Personal Gateway are running.

Could it be a problem related to the service of Data Gateway? Strangely, I don't see a Power Bi Gateway service on my computer called "Data Management Gateway Service". Why doesn't the cloud get engaged with my data gateway?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

@rode

Have you added the data source to the gateway?

I cannot do that! 

chrome_2017-02-20_10-31-15.png

@rode

It shows the gateway as offline. Can you trying running it again?

I have tried to do it many times. I've also tried by running it as administrator. The strange thing is that the ConfigManager tool that is available at AppData\Local\Power BI Gateway - Personal\2.0\Shared says that the gateway is properly connected.

Can you try un-installing and installing again just to make sure?

I've done it yesterday and, effectively, someting strange has happened. After I've uninstalled the gateway, the reinstallation has failed. To address this issue I've deleted all the files in Programs and Application Data folders and the registry keys (by searching in regedit all the involved keys shown in the failed installation logfile) in order to install it again.

After the deletion of files and registry keys the installation has been possible.

Has the gateway been registered?

If for registering you intend to open the gateway and use it with the credentials of Power Pro Pro account... yes, I've done it.

If it's not this the fact you are referring to, I've not understood what you mean.

To register the gateway, you need to login with your credentials first. Then you should be able to see a screen asking you for a gateway name and recovery key for registration

@vanessa wrote:
Then you should be able to see a screen asking you for a gateway name and recovery key for registration

I don't see the screen you're talking about. Should it appear also in case of Personal Gateway?

My bad. I didn't read the subject properly.

Can you send me a screenshot of the error you get when you try to refresh the data?

chrome_2017-02-20_14-05-50.png

@rode

For this kind of "unable to uninstall Personal Gateway", please refer to a blog (the steps may help even it was an old post):

Failure installing the Power BI Personal Gateway

Regards,

@Simon_Hou-MSFT wrote:

@rode

For this kind of "unable to uninstall Personal Gateway", please refer to a blog (the steps may help even it was an old post):

Failure installing the Power BI Personal Gateway

Regards,

Hi @v-sihou-msft. I've already solved the installation problem of Personal Gateway. The problem is data refreshing!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors