Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cperuski
Advocate II
Advocate II

Need help identifying who performed a XMLA Read Operation that overloaded my CPU for 5 hours

Does anyone know how to find out who performed a XMLA Read Operation against a dataset that caused my CPU to be overloaded for about 5 hours.  The Premium Capacity Usage and Resource Utilization report indicated which dataset and at what time the overload occurred, but it will only tell the count of users.  And looking into the data model, it doesn't capture individual user IDs.

And it appears that the Power BI audit logs don't capture XMLA Read Operations as an Operation to be tracked.  

Any guidance on where to look is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JeroenS
Employee
Employee

Hi, 

The Gen2 Metrics App will show you XMLA Read Operation, including the user running the queries. 
Use the drill trough TimePoint detail function to view operations at high CPU consumption period. 

JeroenS_0-1686041574653.png

JeroenS_1-1686041676855.png

The screenshot above only shows "Query" but "XMLA Read Operation" will also be there if applicable.
Hope this helps!
Jeroen

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JeroenS
Employee
Employee

Hi, 

The Gen2 Metrics App will show you XMLA Read Operation, including the user running the queries. 
Use the drill trough TimePoint detail function to view operations at high CPU consumption period. 

JeroenS_0-1686041574653.png

JeroenS_1-1686041676855.png

The screenshot above only shows "Query" but "XMLA Read Operation" will also be there if applicable.
Hope this helps!
Jeroen

noygu
Frequent Visitor

Could you find a solution yet? I am facing the same issue. 

I haven't found a solution yet.  Seems like a big miss on Microsoft's part.  

Hi @cperuski 

after some research I was able to identify my users using the Power BI cmdltets to get the activity log

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoftpowerbimgmt.admin/get-powerbiactivityeve...

The activity log does not explicitly point out XMLA reads, but since there are only so many applications that cause XMLA reads it helped narrow down the search.

Because it was a reoccuring issue for me, I then also used the SQL Server Profiler during the hours when the overloading occured to get more specific information.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoftpowerbimgmt.admin/get-powerbiactivityeve...

I hope this helps you

@cperuski  @noygu 

I checked the internal icm, and there is indeed an issue that refreshes the CPU overload, which is still under investigation. ICM:295858845 If there is any news, I will update it here.

But for your question, there seems to be no way to find out who did it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @cperuski 

vjaneygmsft_1-1644546249768.png

Although the XMLA operation can't be found in the audit log, but through the overloaded time, specific datasets, and certain operations of searching the dataset, the search target can be narrowed down in a large range, and then the related users can be found. 

vjaneygmsft_0-1644546226146.png

Audit log:

https://compliance.microsoft.com/auditlogsearch 

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors