Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nadim1
Frequent Visitor

Modify Query for Published Power BI Report

Hi all,

I'm wondering how I might be able to modify the query / data source for a published Power BI Report. I made a report in Power BI Desktop, and then to share it with colleagues and have it auto-refresh, I published it to Power BI (Cloud). If I want to make updates to this report, i.e. modifying the dataset/updating the queries, how would I be able to do this?

From what I understand, you cannot access the Query Editor in the Cloud (only in the Desktop version, which is fine). Is it as simple as exporting a copy of the report to the Desktop App, making the change, and then Publishing (and overwriting) the current report? I want to confirm whether this is the correct approach before breaking the report (i.e. don't want to have to re-share the report with the allowed users again when I make an update, or break the functionality entirely so no one can use it). Or is there another approach that should be used? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nadim1 

Yes that is one way to do it, when you overwrite the dataset all the reports will remain the same without any changes or modifications.

You could also look at using dataflows if you want to update the query as long as there are no columns added.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nadim1 

Yes that is one way to do it, when you overwrite the dataset all the reports will remain the same without any changes or modifications.

You could also look at using dataflows if you want to update the query as long as there are no columns added.

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ for the quick response. I looked at Dataflows but it seems that you can't append queries without a Premium License (I have Pro) - although appending Queries through Power BI Desktop & then publishing seems to work? Most of the data I work with comes from separate tables that I have to join which doesn't seem possible without the Premium License in a Dataflow. 

Hi @Nadim1 

Yes you can use Premium Per User which will allow that to work.

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ - I'm assuming a Premium Per User (or Premium License) will allow me to do that? I'll check with my team about getting an upgrade. Thanks again for the assistance here. 

Hi @Nadim1 

Yes that is correct.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors