Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

spiderrob
Advocate III
Advocate III

MicroStrategy data source and service refresh

Hi, I have MicroStrategy as a data source using the custom connector. Everything works fine locally and refreshes on demand as expected. However, I'm unable to refresh in the service. My gateway works fine for other on-prem sources (MicroStrategy is also on-prem) and the custom connector is showing in the gateway, however the published dataset fails on refresh with the error:

The import MicroStrategy matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?

Also, the Gateway connection setting for the dataset shows:

'You don't need a gateway for this dataset because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect'.

Any ideas why it thinks this may be a cloud connection? I'm guessing this may be the cause of the problem.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem. cant refresh through Gateway. Please help 

it works for me.

create a Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors directory in your user’s My Documents folder and Gateway connectors folder  in “C:\Windows\ServiceProfile\”

1.Copy the extension file into the Custom Connectors directory and Gateway connectors that was created in the above step.

2.Select the Allow any extension to load without validation or warning option in Power BI Desktop (under File > Options and settings > Options > Security > Data Extensions)

3.Restart Power BI Desktop

also open your on premises Gateway ,Give same path for connector as mentioned above 

Note : use the attached connector

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@spiderrob @Anonymous 

Please refer the link.

As suggested in the above link, please click the "add to gateway" in dataset settings and add the data source to the gateway.

Note:- Please use the latest version of the on-premises data gateway.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

@venal @Anonymous 

I've still not got this working. I think the fundamental issue is that the PowerBI service thinks that the data source is in the cloud. It's not - It's on-prem. The PowerBI Microstrategy connector makes use of the MicroStrategy library api. This is accessed through a local web address. Eg:

Data Source settings in the pbix shows as:

{"apiServer":"https:\/\/xxxxxxxxxx\/api","authMode":"LDAP"} where xxxxxx is my local URL

As a consequence, the service seems to think it's a cloud connection. In the service settings window for the gateway connection, 'Data Sources included in this dataset' shows as blank?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

@spiderrob 

I would like to suggest you to submit a support ticket to investigate on this issue.

Please share the support ticket number here for reference.

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @spiderrob ,

I was able to setup the Enterprise Gateway connector(Standard and Personal) to on Prem Microstrategy Dataset,using Microstrategy 2020 Custom  Connector for PowerBI.

Thanks,

Hima

Hi ,

what datasource type you had used while setting datasource for Gateway Cluster.

your reply shows that u can able to refresh MSTR dataset through on-premises Gateway , can you share few screenshots for same or indetails Note how  you did. it would be more helpfull to some folks who doesn't achieve this.

Also , please provide info on  below points:

MSTR URL version 

Power version

MSTR connector for power bI version

Gateway version

PS:

(we are able import MSTR dataset into power Bi desktop ,also able to publish to Power BI service ,we can able to set datasource for cluster Gateway(on-premises) but still showing Not Configured currectly for both cloud and on-premises Data source while configurinf Gateway for Dataset. also for cloud dataset , showing as no Gateway is needed but while trying refresh showing error as ":"The import MicroStrategy matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?)

expecting your reply at  the earliest

Thanks in Advance ,

Sireesha

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @spiderrob ,

Could you please try to open this setting "Allow user's custom data connectors to refresh  through this gateway cluster" in the manager gateway. Do you have any other data source in this dataset? Also please check the version of your on-premises data gateway.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I already have the "Allow user's custom data connectors to refresh through this gateway cluster" checked. The Gateway also shows as 'Online: you are good to go', but I still have the same error message. 

There are no other data sources in the model aside from the MicroStrategy one as I was looking to test the connection. Still works fine refreshing locally but no success in the service.

I'm still concerned with the message saying 'You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud'. 

Gateway is the lastest version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @spiderrob ,

Were you able to get this working. I am also stuck with the same problem.

Uploaded the Microstrategy Dataset in the PowerBI Desktop. Refresh Works fine there. Published to PowerBI Service. But cannot refresh the dataset here. I have installed the on-Prem Gateway(Personal Mode) in my Local Machine, but cannot see that in the Microstrategy Dataset.

As a test, I also created a dataset in PowerBI that queries teradata and published the same in PowerBI Service. For this dataset, I could see a gateway connector and was able to successfully refresh from PowerBI Service.

Also, do you or anyone knows, where should we be installing on-Prem Gateway(Standard). ie should we be installing in each of the servers?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors