Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Memory error: You have reached the maximum allowable memory allocation for your tier.

Hello, One of my reports is giving me error like the below,
Memory error: You have reached the maximum allowable memory allocation for your tier. Consider upgrading to a tier with more available memory.
memory allocation error.png

Earlier that same report was not giving me any while refreshing. but from the last few days, I'm facing this error while the On-demand refresh.
I have tried a few suggestions also which are given here in the community. but those are not working for me and still facing errors.
please help me out with that error.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous 

You need to upgrade the shared capacity with premiumn capacity to solve this problem, because you have used resources that exceed the upper limit, or you need to optimize the underlying data source to make the query return less data.  

You can download the pbix file and refresh it, see how much memory it consumes when refreshing. You can monitor this by going into task manager and looking for "msmdsrv.exe" this is the analysis services engine.  

Ailsamsft_0-1672367222311.png

If you exceed the allowable capacity, then you will want to consider upgrading your capacity to Premium capacity and purchasing the appropriate SKUs.

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous 

You need to upgrade the shared capacity with premiumn capacity to solve this problem, because you have used resources that exceed the upper limit, or you need to optimize the underlying data source to make the query return less data.  

You can download the pbix file and refresh it, see how much memory it consumes when refreshing. You can monitor this by going into task manager and looking for "msmdsrv.exe" this is the analysis services engine.  

Ailsamsft_0-1672367222311.png

If you exceed the allowable capacity, then you will want to consider upgrading your capacity to Premium capacity and purchasing the appropriate SKUs.

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

pjg
Frequent Visitor

We had an error like this in our test enviroment, but the report worked fine in our premium live enviroment. 
Im not sure if its the exact same message as I didn't record it and was a couple of months ago, but the report PBIX was just over 1gig in size.
We reduced the dataset size by only importing fields from data tables that are used in the report. Some fields had been imported by the developer but not used in the report. A couple of the fields contained a lot of data like ASCII encoded attachements so this worked well. As an extra step, we also excluded very old historical data and kept only a rolling 3 years in the report.
After we dropped the unused fields, limited the number of years of data, it has been working fine since and is about 1/3 of the size.
Im guessing your have tried this as the error message would point you in this direction, but posted just incase as you had not said what you have tried.
Hope it helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors